Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/06 23:02:44 UTC

Post mortem JSPWiki 2.11.0.M1-rc1

Hi,

this is a summary of the issues that have been noted on the 2.11.0.M1 vote:

Issues
********
1.- search does not work, page giving "No template file called
'AJAXSearch.jsp'"
2.- live preview does not work, access_log giving 404 on "POST
/wiki/templates/default/AJAXPreview.jsp"
3.- after uploading an attachment, at the top of the page gives "No
template file called 'localheader.jsp'"
4.- after Saving or Canceling a page edit, distorted pages again (as if it
cannot load the CSS files, but no 404's for it)
4.1.- ClassCastExceptions are shown at
o.a.w.preference.Prefereces#parseJSONPreferences (line 145)
5.- Readme.md with outdated build instuctions
5.1.- document that mvn compile or mvn test alone won't make the whole
build (specifically, the portable build will fail, it needs at least mvn
package)
6.- mvn clean install failing on markdown module
7.- build failure on portable module: Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:3.1.1:unpack
(unpack-wikipages-personal) on project jspwiki-portable
8.- o.a.w.InternalWikiException: Illegal arguments to findJSP(); please
check logs. at o.a.w.ui.TemplateManager.findJSP(TemplateManager.java:311)
with 'default' template
9.- ClassCastException: java.lang.Boolean cannot be cast to
java.lang.String when using haddock template (same exception as 4.1 above)

First analysis and questions
*********************************
- Points 1 to 3 don't know why are they caused, need more time to look at
them
- Points 4 and 9 seem easy to fix as the bug is most likely to be
introduced by [#1]
- Point 5 should be easy to fix too
- Point 6, question: on which version was that tested? the issue raised
points to 2.11.0.M2-SNAPSHOT (current master, not the RC tag), but that is
also building ([#2] does the whole build). On previous versions, the
markdown module was build after the main war, and with 2.11.0.M1 it builds
before, and then it's included on the main war, but that shouldn't matter.
The error refers to not being able to find the tests classes from the main
jar which is weird, as they should've been generated on the test phase of
that module.. Dirk, would you mind checking if a
jspwiki-2.11.0.M2-SNAPSHOT-tests.jar file is found on the
jspwiki-main/target folder?
- Point 7, another question, how was the build made (cfr. point 5.1)?
- Point 8, one last question, was the jspwiki.template property set to
"default"? If so, that error should be expected, default (2.10) template
was renamed to "210" on 2.11.0.M1 because it is not the default template
anymore, so the name is misleading...

Next steps
*************
First thing is to fix the build obviously. If nobody does beat me to it, on
the following days I'll revert the pom.xml and o.a.w.Release versions so
they point to 2.11.0.M1(-SNAPSHOT) again.

Once that is done, when should the 2.11.0.M1-rc2 vote be cast? At work, if
someone misses the release train date, it has to wait until next
"stop"/release date, and given the amount of issues noted, I'm more
inclined to wait until February. We don't need to rush, and there would be
plenty of time to prepare the rc2. Also I'd like to focus on bringing the
integration tests back alive, and make them useful and easier to mantain.
I've been working with Selenide [#3] for the last year and I think it would
be a great replacement for the current Selenium tests (which by the way are
thought for the 210 template).

thoughts? Have I missed anything?

thanks,
juan pablo

[#1]:
https://github.com/apache/jspwiki/commit/87bf9b941fdff55fe4e80a031269d19bc39363a7#diff-71de8c033afbea8be078f02ec7f141a9R145
[#2]: https://builds.apache.org/job/JSPWiki
[#3]: https://selenide.org/quick-start.html

Re: Post mortem JSPWiki 2.11.0.M1-rc1

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dirk,

thanks for looking into it, seems that with latest commit, points 1 through
3 of the above issues' list get solved as well :-) Also, as a bonus,
renaming the template to default addresses point 8, and people upgrading
only have to modify their jspwiki[-custom].properties file if they want to
revert to the 210 template. I've also had a look to
o.a.w.ui.TemplateManager to better understand the fallback-to-default
mechanism, and most probably will write it down on a "HowToWriteATemplate"
page at jspwiki-wiki.a.o..

br,
juan pablo

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.

[...]