Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vasile GABURICI <ga...@cs.pub.ro> on 2000/05/08 02:17:32 UTC

Strange JDK problem

	Hi all,

	I have encountered a weird problem while compiling jsps that use
taglibs. I've solved it, but I thought that others might run into this
too, so here it goes:

	I was using the ftp://ftp.falsehope.com/home/gomez/jakarta/3.1/
RPMs and Sun's JDK1.2.2. While testing the taglib example that comes with
tomcat I've always got this stack trace:

java.lang.IllegalAccessError: try to access class
com/sun/xml/tree/ParentNode from class
org/apache/jasper/compiler/TagLibraryInfoImpl
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:172)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.handleDirective(JspParseEventListener.java:665)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DelegatingListener.handleDirective(DelegatingListener.java:116)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser$Directive.accept(Parser.java:215)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1073)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1038)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1034)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:182)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:413)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspServlet.java:149)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:161)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:369)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:160)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)

	For some odd reason the problem went away when using IBM JDK
1.1.8. This was the same JDK that was used by Gomez Henri to make the
rpms.

	So, I though that it has something to do with JDK versions,
although in theory there should not be such issues! Thus I rebuilt the rpms
with JDK 1.2.2 and the problem went away for good.

	I presume that IBM did not tinker with the compiler in the 1.1.8
JDK, so this could be categorized as a bug in JDK 1.1.8 compiler.

	If anybody can reproduce this, please let me know...