Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Yuval Itzchakov <yu...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/15 13:22:47 UTC

akka.framesize configuration does not runtime execution

Hi,

Due to a very large savepoint metadata file (3GB +), I've set the
akka.framesize that is being required to 5GB. I set this via flink.conf
`akka.framesize` property.

When trying to recover from the savepoint, the JM emits the following error
message:

"thread":"flink-akka.actor.default-dispatcher-30"
"level":"ERROR"
"loggerName":"akka.remote.EndpointWriter"
"message":"Transient "Discarding oversized payload sent to
Actor[akka.tcp://flink@XXX:XXX/user/taskmanager_0#369979612]: max allowed
size 1073741824 bytes, actual size of encoded class
org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.messages.RemoteRpcInvocation was 1610683118
"name":"akka.remote.OversizedPayloadException"

As I recall, while taking the savepoint the maximum framesize was indeed
defined as 1GB.

Could it be that akka.framesize is being recovered from the stored
savepoint, thus not allowing me to configure re-configure the maximum size
of the payload?

--
Best Regards,
Yuval Itzchakov.

Re: akka.framesize configuration does not runtime execution

Posted by Khachatryan Roman <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yuval,

I'm also wondering why do you have such a big metadata file.
Probably, you could reduce it by decreasing
"state.backend.fs.memory-threshold" (if you didn't do so already) [1].

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/dev/stream/state/checkpointing.html#state-backend-fs-memory-threshold

Regards,
Roman