Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mick Knutson <mi...@safeway.com> on 2005/10/01 23:45:12 UTC

Re: tag question about identifying a specific item in acollection

I am not having luck here.

I have a collection of cards (Card class)  that I am iterating through.
Then, I also have a form that has a cardValidatorForm (DynaForm).

cardForm.cardNumber is going to be equal to one of the card.cardNumber's
When I create the logic tag like you stated:
<logic:equal property="cardNumber" value="<%= card.cardNumber %>">...

I get an error about missing a parameter/header/name

What am I missing?

Posted by Kishore Senji <ki...@gmail.com>.
If you are using property on the logic:equal, you also have to supply the
"name" attribute. Define an "id" on the logic:iterate and use it as the
"name" on the logic:equal.

Posted by Murray Collingwood <mu...@focus-computing.com.au>.
Sounds like you need some documentation... try this:

http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/struts-logic.html

This tells you how to use those <logic:... and <html:... and <bean:... tag libraries along
with a few others.

Basically the use of the <logic:iterate...> tag should identify the attribute name of the
collection and assign a new attribute name to be used for accessing each item within
the collection.

Inside the iteration you then access values from the current item using the newly
assigned attribute name.  Next specify a "property" to retrieve the value from this item.

For example:

Collection stored in request has an attribute name of "myCards", it is a type that
implements Collection (maybe ArrayList or something).

<logic:iterate name="myCards" id="aCard">

The collection of cards is now retrieved and the first card from the collection is now
stored in some scope (maybe page) with the name "aCard".  Within the confines of the
logic:iterate begin and end tags I can now refer to this card in all my tags.

This card num is: <jsp:getProperty name="aCard" property="cardNumber"/>
<logic:equal name="aCard" property="cardNumber"  value="7">
 This is card number seven!
</logic:equal>

</logic:iterate>

Next question, where does the value come from that you are trying to test this card
number against.   If <%= card.cardNumber %> going to retrieve the value are are
wanting to test?  Can you tell us more about where this value is coming from?

Kind regards
mc