Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Scott Kurz <sk...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/24 15:43:11 UTC

How to configure java.util.logging for a forked failsafe invocation?

 Hi,

As suggested here:  https://stackoverflow.com/a/12276898/634324  I'm simply
doing this (using the updated rather than deprecated prop name) which forks
a JVM (the default):

            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-failsafe-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>2.22.0</version>
                <configuration>
                    <systemPropertyVariables>

<java.util.logging.config.file>${project.basedir}/src/test/resources/logging.properties</java.util.logging.config.file>
                    </systemPropertyVariables>
                </configuration>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <id>default-integration-test</id>
                        <phase>integration-test</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>integration-test</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
            </plugin>

But it doesn't seem to be having any effect.

I stepped through it a bit in the debugger... enough to see that it seems
to be that this sequence:

https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/blob/19ea21e3d7681c33a158dd7e06e8b5a993a33d85/surefire-booter/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/surefire/booter/ForkedBooter.java#L91-L95

ends up initializing the LogManager before a system prop
like java.util.logging.config.file can be set.

----

If this sounds like it'd be worth capturing in an issue/JIRA, I could add
more detail, but first wanted to check this wasn't a known problem or a
usage error... (or if the "solution" is just not to fork which I wasn't
hoping to resort to yet).

Thanks,
Scott Kurz