Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Stavros Macrakis <ma...@alum.mit.edu> on 2020/07/07 01:11:49 UTC

Search for term except within phrase

(Sorry for sending this with the wrong subject earlier.)

How can I search for a term except when it's part of certain phrases?

For example, I might want to find documents mentioning "pepper" where it is
not part of the phrases "chili pepper", "hot pepper", or "pepper sauce".

It does not work to search for [pepper NOT ("chili pepper" OR "hot pepper"
OR "pepper sauce")] because that excludes all documents which mention
"chili pepper" even if they also mention "black pepper" or the unmodified
word "pepper". Maybe some way using synonyms?

Thanks!

             -s

Re: Search for term except within phrase

Posted by Emir Arnautović <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi Stavros,
I didn’t check what’s supported in ComplexPhraseQueryParser but that is wrapper around span queries, so you should be able to do what you need: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/other-parsers.html#complex-phrase-query-parser <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/other-parsers.html#complex-phrase-query-parser>

HTH,
Emir