Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/31 14:41:28 UTC

Add support for other programming languages

If you are interested in contributing in maintaining other programming
languages support for NetBeans, please reply to this thread.

There are many programming languages that have been dropped from Apache
NetBeans, for various reasons. A list can be found here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Community+plugins>.
Some of them need little effort to provide at least some basic
functionality.

The task is not easy, as there are different technologies (JavaCC, ANTLR,
LSP) that these plugins have been written into, and the NetBeans APIs have
been changed during time. A draft wiki page on how to add language support
to NetBeans can be found here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Adding+New+Language+Support>
.

We could have a separate thread or organise in slack, e.g. to create a
better overview of what needs to be done and how to proceed.

Thank you in advance.

K/r,

John.

Re: Add support for other programming languages

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
Hallo all again.

I have created separate wiki pages in Confluence per programming language
support. This should contain more info about the status of existing
plugins, TODOs, requirements etc. Please feel free to update them for the
plugin(s) you wish to contribute.

Regarding this page
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Adding+New+Language+Support>,
my idea is to make it a generic easy how-to for every beginner who wishes
to add a new language plugin, or contribute to an existing one, to be able
to follow the steps and do it. We may also split it to different
technologies, i.e. How-Tos for LSP, ANTLR etc. I leave it to those who know
more than me to decide. Please contribute to this page; it will help to
find volunteers to help us, but also, if we have a common
structure/methodology to develop the plugins, we can contribute to more
plugins since the steps would be common.  We may, of course, deviate in
some plugins, but these would be the general steps. So, when you develop
your plugin, please spend some time to contribute to this page; it will pay
off in the future.

@Eric: you have done excellent work in adding a lot of comments with
resources etc. to this page. May I ask you to move your comments to the
main content instead and give the wiki page more shape? Thank you in
advance.

As a nice to have, would be to have a space in apache netbeans github to
add these plugins (maybe under contrib) instead of our own github space. I
haven't checked this page
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Experiment%3A+split+the+main+NetBeans+repository>
that Eric provided yet, but it could be the solution.

As an aside, I tried to work on plugins that I thought would be easy to
integrate and have a quick announcement (hey, NB now support XXX language),
but it was not that simple:

   - Kotlin plugin requires to build the kotlin part (I don't speak Kotlin
   yet)
   - Rust & Scala plugins need to be rewritten, unfortunately
   -

 Maybe I take a quick look at Ruby plugin, too, and be luckier there. :)

Thank you all.

Kind regards,

John.

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Ryan <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tim. It would be great if you could.

Even if it's not perfect we could make it an official delivery for now, and
have NetBeans support Rust language, too.

Kind regards,

John.

AW: Add support for other programming languages

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey all,

for rust, we need help here: https://github.com/drrb/rust-netbeans
and for C# and .NET we need help here: https://github.com/Chris2011/DotNetCore-for-NetBeans

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Python 😀

________________________________

Posted by Meir Kalter <me...@gmail.com>.
I would happy to join to:

Posted by Arafat BOUCHAFRA <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm interested by supporting Rust programming language by NetBeans.

King regards

Posted by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de>.
use this email thread: +1

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 1/3/22 12:11, John Kostaras wrote:
> Thank you all for your replies.
>
> We can continue on (please vote):
>
>   * slack (NetBeans #plugin-developers)
>   * create a google group
>   * use this email thread

use this email thread: +1

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: Add support for other programming languages

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

This is an excellent piece of advice. The kind of knowledge we want to
know about LSP servers before using them, I think.

Thanks,
Antonio

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Randamuna. I 'm kinda in the same situation as you, very busy at
the moment, but try to steal some time for NB.
Do you have a github repo or something with your LSP version? If not, could
you contribute your knowledge somewhere (in confluence, netbeans
documentation, your wiki or something?)

Kind regards,

John.

Posted by Randamuna Namae <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randamuna Namae <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Regarding slack, there is the “#plugin-developers” channel on the Netbean
slack ( https://netbeans.slack.com/ ) if that helps.

How should these language (or any) plugins be managed from a organization,
namespace, and repository perspective?

Assume they could fall under a subproject under given organization similar
to existing things under https://github.com/apache (or other organizations
like https://github.com/eclipse) or could be independent of these all
together.

If under apache org, what involvement by apache would be needed (i.e. if
make it an “apache language plugin” how is that sanctioned and accepted?
Assume some sort of “incubator project” like netbeans went through but not
sure all the overhead for a small project would be worth it)?

Should they be “sub-projects” under “apache/netbeans” repository code base?
Assume not give it would grow the code base but could provides better
integrated language solution to baseline netbeans proper [i.e. “Netbeans
release x.y.z supports, Java, PHP, <new Language here>“ upon release).

But if it was, what would be necessary to include them within the core
baseline (i.e. new cluster, compatible licenses, establish dependencies
[external/internal], etc.)?

Assume preferred would be a new repository (or repositories) and package
namespace would be created for given language which provides more
independent development and control on plugin publication activities.

Should some sort of bundle of plugins be developed together (i.e.
org.apache.netbeans.contrib, org.apache.netbeans.plugin, or
org.apache.netbeans.lang, etc.)with multiple language plugins [i.e. build
all languages included in language bundle] (kind of like gcc which adds new
language sometimes as part of main but others as independent separate
libraries).

Or a completely non-apache namespace of whomever chooses to create and
maintain them (i.e. org.some.organization.netbean.plugin or
com.some.company.netbeans.plugin, etc.)?

--
Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Add support for other programming languages