Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Murat Sutunc <mu...@microsoft.com> on 2014/12/16 00:22:48 UTC

--list argument for CLI

Hi all,
My name is Murat Sutunc, I'm part of the Visual Studio team @ Microsoft and new to Cordova.

I was looking at the Cordova Tooling Wiki at (https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/CommandLineToolingDesign) and thought it would be interesting to make some additions to the list-devices feature. Currently we have list-devices and list-emulator-images scripts for a lot of different platforms. However these scripts are not easily accessible from the Cordova CLI. By introducing an additional argument to the run or emulate command, we could show a list of available emulators or connected devices. (I would like to deemphasize the fact that the command is called --list). After invoking the command, a user can decide which target to use and run the app on the desired target by using cordova run -device devicename

Here's how it looks for an Android only project:
C:\dev\cordova-projects\hello>cordova run --list
Running command: C:\dev\cordova-projects\hello\platforms\android\cordova\run.bat --list
Available Android Virtual Devices:
        AVD_GalaxyNexus_ToolsForApacheCordova
Available Android Devices:

(Internally what happens here is, through run.js we will call android list and adb devices and pipe that list to the user. Similar process with iOS too.)

Note that in case a platform doesn't support --list flag, it'll ignore the flag and run as if the flag is not provided. This is due to current args parsing logic in platforms. Is this ok for the short term? I would hope that more platforms would support this option in the future.

Below are the pull requests for cordova-cli and cordova-android/cordova-ios that have this functionality implemented. I would like to hear your thoughts on this design, choice of the flag and if you think this feature would be a valuable addition to the CLI.

cordova-cli: https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/199
cordova-android: https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/pull/139
cordova-ios: https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/pull/122

PS: My ICLA just got approved. You can also ping me anytime on #cordova, my name on irc is muratsu.

Thanks!
-Murat

RE: --list argument for CLI

Posted by Murat Sutunc <mu...@microsoft.com>.
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I've the initial work available as pull requests here:
cordova-cli: https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/199
cordova-android: https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/pull/139
cordova-ios: https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/pull/122

If anyone has time to go through the pull requests and accept, that would be fantastic!

Thanks,
Murat

Re: --list argument for CLI

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.