Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by James Earl <je...@icionline.ca> on 2004/05/25 22:16:05 UTC

Alternatives to auto table layout

Hi,

I'm just curious to know what people have found works best for them as
an alternative to achieving somewhat auto table layout?  I'm currently
trying to figure out what I should do.  I've just started learning XSL
as a result of beginning to use FOP to try to automatically create a
catalogue from data stored within a MySQL database.

The only idea I've had so far, was to use the maximum column lengths as
returned from PHP's mysql_fetch_field() to somehow formulate a
proportional-column-width() value for the column-widths.

As for the formula... I have no clue what that might be yet!  :)

James

Re: Alternatives to auto table layout

Posted by James Earl <je...@icionline.ca>.
On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:36, James Earl wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:32, Julian Reschke wrote:
> > James Earl wrote:
> > > Well, at least now I understand why!  Man, this is easy, who needs auto
> > > table layout!!!
> >
> > Well. If it's that easy, I don't understand why FOP can't do this on
> > it's own rather than requiring special workarounds...
> >
> > Julian
>
> I was just thinking the same thing!  :)
>
> I'm sure there's some technical explanation that's way over my head.
>
> James

I think I may have spoken too soon.  It isn't quite working as well as I
would like on some of my larger result sets, with more columns.

Posted by James Earl <je...@icionline.ca>.

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi Julian,

> James Earl wrote:
> > Well, at least now I understand why!  Man, this is easy, who needs auto
> > table layout!!!
>
> Well. If it's that easy, I don't understand why FOP can't do this on
> it's own rather than requiring special workarounds...

Well, you're welcome to have a go, if you feel like it :) (--and if you do,
please patch it to the development version... I'm still not completely sure
about how exactly to implement it over there)

Big difference is: in XSLT you're just dealing with XML nodes, so if you
know XML you're set. On top of that XSLT is a widely known standard, whereas
the FOP API is only known to those who take the time to go strolling through
the code and browse the dev pages... If you have an XSLT question, post it
to Mulberry and suddenly 10 kind people will answer your hail. If you have a
question about the FOP API, you can browse fop-dev pages or post it to
fop-dev, but chances are that in the end you're still going to have to
gather the necessary info to be able to answer your own question.
(--Certainly no negative feelings about this, as IMHO the knowledge you
gather tends to be more profound if you obtain it through self-study and a
few helpful hints from co-committers, rather than having someone spell it
out for you from A to Z)

I guess what I mean is: there's books about XML, XSLT and Java, but you
won't find a book about the FOP API.

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: Alternatives to auto table layout

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by James Earl <je...@icionline.ca>.
On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:12, James Earl wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 10:08, James Earl wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 18:14, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> >
> > > Say you have a max record width (sum of all respective max field widths) of
> > > 65, then each column gets its width according to a calculation like
> > >
> > > [( proportional-width / 65 ) * remaining-table-width ]
> >
> > I'll post any success that I have!
>
> I'm not sure if I'm doing this right... but the following gave
> acceptable results:
>
> Columns (max field length):
>
> 1. 20
> 2. 10
> 3. 5
> 4. 1
> 5. 11
> 6. 6
>
> Total: 53
>
> Calculations:
>
> 1. (20 / 53) * 33 = 12.5 (e.g. proportional-column-width(12.5))
> 2. (10 / 53) * 43 = 8.1
> 3. (5 / 53) * 48 = 4.5
> 4. (1 / 53) * 52 = 0.9
> 5. (11 / 53) * 42 = 8.7
> 6. (6 / 53) * 47 = 5.3
>
> I've just tried this once so far, but it worked great.  I have two
> templates set up.  Once exports xsl-fo, while the other one exports
> html.  The PDF generated by FOP looks almost identical in terms of the
> column widths.
>
> I just need to take into account the max length of the column heading
> when it is larger than the column data.
>
> James

Okay, I see now that a string length WILL WORK!  Man do I feel stupid.
:)

Posted by James Earl <je...@icionline.ca>.
On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:50, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> [...]

Yes, this is definitely clearer.  With a table width of a 100% it's just
a little easier.

This is working very well for me now.  Thanks for all your help!

James

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

<snip />

Posted by James Earl <je...@icionline.ca>.

Posted by James Earl <je...@icionline.ca>.
On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 18:14, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:

I did read up on proportional-column-width() on w3.org, but your
description of it makes things more clear.  Thanks!

I understand your example above, where one column is always 5 times as
wide as the first.

The only thing that was confusing me is that (in your first example) if
string-length() returned a value of say 24, because you have a column
with a maximum string length of 24 characters, then that column would be
24 times the width of all the rest... wouldn't it???

> Using string-length() is indeed a bit rudimentary, in that it can, strictly
> speaking, only approach the actual text-width when a fixed-width font is
> used further on. If you want to refine that, you would need to take into
> account the font-metrics as well... Also, the proportions will only look
> nice if you have all rows of the same height (meaning: no line-breaks inside
> cells) Sure, this too can be compensated for.
>
> Say you have a max record width (sum of all respective max field widths) of
> 65, then each column gets its width according to a calculation like
>
> [( proportional-width / 65 ) * remaining-table-width ]

I'm very poor with math, but this makes more sense to me (the paragraphs
above) - using the maximum string lengths to calculate a proportional
integer.  I'll have to try to apply this in my application and see if I
can better understand it through doing it!

> Other than that... could it be that you're a bit misled by the subtle
> difference between XSLT and XSL-FO (?) The result of string-length() is
> resolved long before FOP starts digesting the actual fo:table-column, so FOP
> sees nothing of the string-length() function. That's the XSLT processor's
> realm...

Ya, XSLT just spits out the XSL-FO, which is then processed by FOP.  I
don't think I have a complete understanding of
proportional-column-width() yet.  I'll play around with it some more
using the information you'd provided to me and see what I can learn.

Thanks

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by James Earl <je...@icionline.ca>.

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi,

Before I forget to mention:

>   <!-- ... and use this maximum for prop-col-width -->
>   <fo:table-column column-number="{@index}"

The column-number property is used here, but is still unimplemented in FOP
0.20.5 (it *will* be in the next version, though... it partly is in my local
version anyway :) A bit of fine-tuning still required )

Cheers,

Andreas

RE: Alternatives to auto table layout

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Erratum:
> Too bad XSLT doesn't have aggregate functions min() or max(), but this
> can be worked around rather easily.

Should be XSLT *1.0*

XPath 2.0 (=> XSLT 2.0) *does* support these functions.

Greetz,

Andreas

RE: Alternatives to auto table layout

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.