Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Ed Hill <ed...@uiowa.edu> on 2002/01/07 21:37:46 UTC

Submission... tag library

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I mentioned in the struts-user list a tag library that we
are developing which at the time I called gui:table...  I didn't have the
source ready to go at the time - but rather then trying to get it perfect in
isolation, I'll risk the public humiliation and go ahead and make available
what I have now and try to work with others who are interested in
helping me polish it up.

Currently, this taglib has a single key tag called "table" that takes a list
of objects and displays them as a table.  It has various features
(alternating row colors, using a decorator for formatting, sorting,
pagination, etc...)

My goal over time will be to add other common "high-level" web display
patterns to the tag library, for example:

   - display:table
   - display:tree
   - display:tabs
   - display:inspector
   - etc...

The source to this tag library is available at:

    http://edhill.its.uiowa.edu/downloads/display.zip

Examples, showing usage can be found at:

    http://edhill.its.uiowa.edu/display-examples/

Currently, documentation is little more then just the examples.

To be honest, my original intention was to donate this taglib to struts if
there was interest, as we are heavy struts users here at the U of Iowa, and
I wanted to give back if possible, but there is nothing "struts-specific"
about the taglib (other then using some struts-like naming conventions for
attributes), so it is probably more appropriately a candidate for the taglib
project, and as such, I have been working on getting the build process for
the tag working in a jakarta-taglib style.

I welcome any and all feedback and advice.  If this taglib seems like
something that would be useful for either struts or taglibs, please let me
know, and I'll be happy to work with either group to get it put into CVS and
on a more serious release schedule.

I am currently being presumptuous, and have the taglib living in the
org.apache.taglibs.display package, but if this doesn't seem like something
that would be of use to taglibs, I will certainly change the packaging to
something more appropriate.

Thanks.

-Ed Hill (ed-hill@uiowa.edu)
Software Developer - Information Technology Services - University of Iowa

Re: Submission... tag library

Posted by Don Saxton <eu...@pacbell.net>.
yes, this will be a significant contribution.  Just the right stuff for a
public taglib, it will be interesting to see how it evolves. I especially
like the writing in the examples and its sensitivity to usage. I hope you
get a chance to carry that over to the documentation you suggest.

bravo.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: AspectJ and Struts Exception handling:

Posted by Nicholas Lesiecki <ni...@eblox.com>.
Well, yes you will have to use new syntax--as my example illustrated. And
yes, AOP is a relatively new paradigm, with the associated wrinkles and
complexity. However, much like OO, it has the potential to revolutionize the
way we program. For instance, instead of using System.err, I could use Log4j
and apply my exception handling changes to the whole codebase in 3
minutes...

I just wanted to bring it up so that people could start thinking about its
potential application to Struts.

Cheers,

Nick

Posted by John Yu <jo...@scioworks.com>.

Posted by Donnie Hale <do...@haleonline.net>.
I just posted a message to commons about aspectj. :) Very, very cool stuff! What I'd like to see next from that arena is the ability to define pointcuts and aspects dynamically rather than with a recompile.

Donnie

Re: Building Form Beans from XML Schema?

Posted by Jon Ferguson <fe...@ieee.org>.
Arron,

I agree with the analysis.  There are of course other tools that do similar things
(including the Digester) but I've seen no others that do all three (XML/Schema/SQL)
at  least opensource.  It seems like a natural way to proceed in order to automate
some of this stuff.  When I noticed that you could get Castor to generate beans with
the validate method I thought the author probably had Struts in mind..  If I get a
chance, I'll look into it further.

Thanks,
Jon

Posted by Arron Bates <ar...@keyboardmonkey.com>.
Jon,

Posted by Jon Ferguson <fe...@ieee.org>.
Arron,

Posted by Arron Bates <ar...@keyboardmonkey.com>.

Re: Submission... tag library

Re: Submission... tag library

Posted by Jon Ferguson <fe...@ieee.org>.
Ed,

I'm rather new to Struts and taglibs.. however, this seems like a very useful
taglib project.  Table presentation seems to popup everywhere in business app
web development.  The easy sorting ais cool... Its pretty easy to think of
several other features: intable editing, expandable rows,  etc. that might be
useful.  Thanks for your input.

Jon

Re: Submission... tag library

Posted by Gervase Gallant <ge...@yahoo.com>.
Ed, in some respects, the implementation you describe
isn't that far from what I have done.
- I have placed the datasource location and have also
provided for the SQL strings to be placed in a
location other than the JSP page. I do this because I
have seen quite a few web developments with SQL-based
pages that were in deep trouble after a database
change. In spite of all this, the specification text
does have to pass everything you would need to connect
to a database and return a data structure. Isn't this
is true for both implementations? If you couldn't I
would wonder how self-contained the tag would be.

- Of course, there is a requirement for a clean -- or
at least as clean as possible -- separation between
the View (the Page) and the Controller/Model. In fact
the Controller/Model needs to be well encapsulated and
self-sufficient.

- However, from my point of view, having worked on
quite a few web developments,  it is far more
important that the View has a clean and *simple*
interface. A good example of this are some of the
Coldfusion tags, which provide substantial
functionality from in-line tags. Where a lot of tag
implementations seem to fall apart, at least from my
vantage point, is that they tend to either 1) invent a
whole new scripting language or 2) expose too much
functionality from the API (like giving you a thin
wrapper around a ResultSet or an HTML table.)

What I have tried to do is understand the language of
the Web developer. To my mind, the interface to the
tag succeeds when the consumer (the developer) intuits
it quickly. In my case, I thought providing a visual
example right on the page would be attractive to web
developers. And, as you can see from the examples,
there isn't much beyond the example and setting a
couple of properties.

I'm not saying that my own example works that well.
It's kind of evolving from a more rough-and-tumble
environment. I will have a closer look at your library
to see if it speaks a little more naturally to the Web
developer, particularly the way you attempt to hide
the data retreival.

Anyway thanks. I'll get off my soap box. ;-)

=== message truncated ===

=====
Gervase Gallant
Please add gervasegallant@yahoo.com to your address book.
Check out my web site: http://www.javazoid.com

Re: Submission... tag library

Posted by Ed Hill <ed...@uiowa.edu>.
Gervase, thanks for your feedback - I took at look at the site you
referenced, and my comments are inline below...

> Ed, This is an intriguing concept. I am still a little confused about
> where the data comes from. You mention a key tag called table, but I am
> not sure how you would use it. For example, how would you use it with a
> JDBC resultset? How do you populate the Collections?

The tag design is heavily influenced by struts and other MVC design
patterns.  I assume that your Controller (or in a typical Model I design,
your Bean) has taken the actions need to load up a list of object's.  That
List would typically contain value objects of some type (Users, Cars, Fruit,

Re: Submission... tag library

Posted by Gervase Gallant <ge...@yahoo.com>.
Ed, This is an intriguing concept. I am still a little
confused about where the data comes from. You mention
a key tag called table, but I am not sure how you
would use it. For example, how would you use it with a
JDBC resultset? How do you populate the Collections?

>From looking at your code, the application of HTML
seems straightforward enough.

If you have an opportunity, please check out a
somewhat similar tag I have developed. It's a little
different from your in that I was trying to do two
things:
 - allow a non JDBC aware JSP coder to connect a
ResultSet to an HTML table. I keep a sqlKey property
in the tag which can either contain the SQL or
(better) allow it to be maintained in the web.xml

- allow the JSP person to place an example table
between the tag start and stop. If the table consists
of a header and a data row, the tag figures out the
formatting from the example. In this way, the JSP
developer doesn't need extensive Java or JDBC
knowledge.

Please check it out at:
http://www.javazoid.com/reportwriter.html

Gervase Gallant