Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> on 2002/12/04 14:23:17 UTC

Re: velocity lovers...

What's troublesome is that the EA they leaked makes these bold claims as the
end-all of Java web application development ... yet the demos they provided
were creaky, poorly executing and poorly written (also, pretty darn ugly!)

Some of the things they want to do are very ambitious, but the APIs are
very, very thin.

My own experience with Tapestry is that you have to build complex prototypes
to find latent problems.  I've had this happen repeatedly, where there was a
tiny error in my abstractions that needed amending when someone pushed it to
the limit (in case your interested, when I build the portal demo, there was
a problem when one page would include some content from a different page ...
the URLs for links taken from the second page but rendered as part of the
first page weren't quite right -- in other words, a very complex scenario).

Of course, open source projects are very nimble, I'm usually able to fix
things in a backwards-compatible way and be done with it.

JSF makes claims that it can handle very complex cases, but I won't believe
it until I see it.

What I fear will happen is that JSF 1.0 will be released and all the tool
builders will standardize on it, then latent problems will be discovered
(sure they'll be fixed in JSF 1.1, but then you have to wait for the vendors
to update their tools ...) and everyone will be back to scriptlets and
custom JSP taglibs to work around the problems ... and developers will have
lost, not gained, productivity in the meantime.