Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by stuart robertson <st...@yahoo.com> on 2002/05/16 21:54:45 UTC

Re: JSTL/Standard not really JSP 1.1?

Back in November(?) I modified EA1 to work with JSP
1.1 to use in a "proof of concept" app.  The main
incompatibilities I remember offhand were the lack of
the new IteratorTag and TryCatchFinally(?) interfaces.
 The expression language had no depencies on JSP 1.2.
Changing the JSTL taglibs to work with 1.1 wasn't
difficult.  What was ugly though was that it required
changes to the base classes.  The iterator-support
JSTL classes are a good example.  I ended up changing
their packages to make it obvious that these aren't
the standard distribution classes.  Any tags built on
top of this 1.1-ized JSTL used these modified classes,
and would themselves have to be later modified to work
again with the standard tags.  Yuck.

...in short, I can see why working group didn't want
to do this!  But I doubt I'm the only one who wants to
use JSTL functionality and simply doesn't have the
option of using a JSP 1.2 container just yet.  There's
benefit to using these temporary ports, since the TLDs
can remain the same, and you can build JSPs that will
work fine under JSP 1.2 (at least that was my
experience).  Its just a stop-gap measure, but one
that could get JSTL into projects earlier than would
otherwise be an option.

If anybody were to place a 1.1-ified JSTL port under
sourceforge, I'm sure it would get used.

Stu

>At 02:56 PM 4/25/2002, Lawrence You wrote:
>>I think this is more of a labeling issue on the
taglibs page than anything
>>else but I'm wondering if there's a way I can get
the Standard Taglib to

Posted by Lawrence You <yo...@pixo.com>.
Thanks Stu, your email helps clarify the situation for me. I won't be
able to volunteer do the work to get JSTL back into 1.1 now although
I did tweak a few tags in JSTL to see if it work with 1.1 just to ask
"what if...?" At least it sounds like backporting is a possibility
though.

As for my original comment, I noticed that "Standard" is now no
longer listed under "JSP 1.1" on the Taglibs page which is probably
the way it should be.

-Lawrence

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
> If anybody were to place a 1.1-ified JSTL port under
> sourceforge, I'm sure it would get used.

I think Jakarta would be happy to host such a thing. It's been mentioned
once or twice and is really just waiting for someone with the itch to go
ahead and do it. I imagine that those with the itch are probably waiting
for the final release to be made.

I've not heard of anyone actually doing it though, so if you've the itch
and the time :)

Hen