Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Dimiter Dimitrov <we...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/08 16:36:35 UTC

Drop down Multilevel Navigation in Wicket

Hi guys!

I'm relatively new to the Wicket and am still learning so in advance,
excuse me if I've missed anything.
What I'm looking for and I can not find a solution for is how can I
create a multi level dropdown navigation in Wicket? I mean, the
popular multi level dropdown navigation (CSS/JS-based) that when user
mouseOver the link, a subset of sublinks appears.
I was looking at the Wicket components section but did not see such. How may
I create
such a navigation in terms of Wicket, guys?

Thanks in advance!

--
Kind Regards:
Dimitar Dimitrov

Re: Drop down Multilevel Navigation in Wicket

Posted by Dan Retzlaff <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dimiter,

I have not implemented a multi-level, mouseover-based menu system, but I can
offer the following general advice. Wicket makes it easy for client-side
events to trigger callbacks in your server-side Java application, from which
you can, for example, render new content into existing DOM elements.
However, since this approach requires an AJAX request for each event, the
user will experience slight delays in seeing the responses to his events.
Therefore it is far more typical to provide a menu drill-down experience
entirely in client-side JavaScript, selectively hiding or showing DOM
content based on user input. Only when the user selects a menu item (e.g.
 by clicking a link) does Wicket become involved.

Hope that helps,
Dan