Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> on 2010/05/29 16:36:42 UTC

[configuration] Time for a new release?

It has been a long time since the last release of [configuration], and
their have been numerous fixes in the mean time. So I think we really
ought to get out Configuration 1.7.

The dependency to [vfs] 2.0-SNAPSHOT is a blocker, so this would have to
be released first. What is the status here?

Are there other issues?

How about the file system stuff? This is really a cool new feature
because it addresses an actual weakness of the library: locating
configuration files in a configurable manner. But I am not sure whether
it is already mature - maybe documentation could be improved, and are
the interfaces stable?

Oliver

Re: [configuration] Time for a new release?

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Hi Ralph,

these are good news! Some comments inline...

Am 29.05.2010 23:12, schrieb Ralph Goers:
> I believe vfs is OK (and overdue) for a 2.0 release.  I started to do it but after getting a key signed at ApacheCon in Oakland I managed to forget the password.  I need to create a new signing key for myself to be able to do it.  Then it is just a matter of finding the time and learning the process.
I have not yet done a maven 2-based release either. However, I think
documentation about the release process is permanently improving. See
also the recent thread about using Nexus.

> I don't know if you have built the documentation for Configuration 1.7 but I made significant changes to it do document the new things I added. If you believe things are missing or unclear let me know and I'll add them.  We've created a configuration editor that uses the Configuration API to edit files stored in a WebDAV repository and it works well.  I believe the interfaces are stable, at least in the 1.x branch. As we work on the experimental branch we may choose to clean up how CC integrates with files overall.
Just had a look at the recent documentation, and it looks fine to me. I
had asked about the stability of the interfaces because I had the
impression that functionality is a bit mixed between ConfigurationUtils
and FileSystem. Maybe in this area a clearer separation could be
achieved, but I can also live with the current state.

> FWIW, we had intended on donating the editor as well, but the author left the company and wasn't going to have time to work on it here so I've held back on that for now.
This would certainly be a good addition. But it could also be added to a
later release.

Oliver

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.