Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/30 14:02:15 UTC

Deletes, range ghost issue

Hi

I am sorry to open one more thread about this topic, but I though I
understood roughly how distributed deletes work and while testing it, it
appeared that I don't.

I have deleted a lot of counter columns and "normal" rows and columns.

On Opscenter, I was still able to see the row keys, with an empty set of
columns as described here :
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#range_ghosts

I am using a 1.2.6 single node cluster. I reduced the gc_grace for every CF
(from 864000 to 60) and started a major compaction (I am using STC only).

This process removed all ghost (as far as I can see with OpsCenter) from
some CFs and didn't remove any of the tombstoned rows on other CFs.

Specifically, major compaction removed the data from a CF and not from an
other one defined in the exact same way and using the same code to delete
the columns.

What am I missing ? Is there a random possibility not getting ride of range
ghost after a major compaction ?

Alain