Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by brian <gr...@anklebiter.net> on 2003/07/18 17:14:48 UTC

Deleting a Document

Hi

I'm using Lucene to index data from a database for more efficient
searches.  When a user updates data from within the application, I have
to (obviously) update the Document that is associated with that user in
the index.  According to posts I've seen, this involves deleting the
existing Document in the index, and adding the updated Document.  Here's
my catch --

I'd like to retrieve the current field values from the existing
Document, as they contain information that the user hasn't updated
(basically, data from other DB tables).  My question is this --  if I
retrieve the existing Document via Term and TermDocs, when I call
IndexWriter.delete(docID), does that simply remove the reference to the
Document in the index, or will it actually delete the Document object
that I retrieved?

TIA