Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/01 22:59:16 UTC

Re: Looking for some work to do on Lenya

Michael,

Abeit a little late, here are some thoughts I had on static HTML
exporting, for your consideration as you design this:

1) Make sure it works when running Lenya under SSL.  I have had great
difficulties with this using Lenya 1.2.4 under WebLogic behind an
SSL-enabled web server, particularly since my site's SSL certificate's
root CA is not in the default trust store.

2) If the new design will be doing an http(s) connection to Lenya to
generate each page, maybe we can reuse the output of the http(s)
connection that ProxyGenerator makes during the publishing step.  Or
at the very least, both the publishing (ProxyGenerator.java) and the
export (Wget.java) should be refactored to use the same http(s)
connection code, same trust store location, etc.

3) Do we really have to make an http(s) connection to generate the
static HTML pages at all?   I know that the publishing process uses an
http(s) connection so that the "live" site can be on a different
server, but for those creating static HTML pages this is generally not
the case (I assume).  Or can we call a Cocoon API to send a desired
URI through the pipelines and save the result to a file (after
rewriting the URL's, of course), without needing to make a socket
connection at all?

4)  I may be showing my ignorance on this one, but it seems like an
obvious question:  Most people want the static HTML files because they
will be using a web server to serve up the site, rather than having
Lenya serve it up.  In those cases, why do we need a "live" copy of
the site at all?  Maybe instead of an export process, the Publish step
should optionally save HTML instead of XML.  I know, I know, too much
code to change on this one.