Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rich <ma...@opusnet.com> on 2002/06/26 05:38:01 UTC

New User - Many Questions To Come

...First post...

I'm not new to web development, but I am new to Tomcat, new to JSP, and
pretty-much new to Java.   My background is in VBScript ASP, IIS, etc.

I finally figured out that I could not have my tomcat handling DNS stuff
without setting it to listen on port 80, and that IIS really loves
trying to get in the way of things.  I am finally past all that now...

[ My Setup: Win 2k Server; Tomcat 4.0.4; JDK 1.4 ]

First question...

When I try and put a session timeout constraint in my web.xml file, the
application will not start.  I place the following code in the <web-app>
(^C^V directly from Tomcat's example):

<session-config>
  <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
</session-config>

And the app is a no-go.  When I run 'list' in the manager app it says
the root app is stopped and the other apps are fine.

Anyone else experience this and/or have a solution?

Many more questions to come.

Cheers,
Rich

RE: New User - Many Questions To Come

Posted by Stefan Langer <ma...@web.de>.
Hello  Rich

Do you get any Exceptions when Tomcat starts up? Especially SAXExceptions
are interesting since they indicate a failure in the web.xml. The DTD in
Spec 2.3 is very specific and the elements have to be in the correct order.
It would be helpfull if you could post the complete web.xml.

STefan