Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2005/01/05 09:39:28 UTC

Maven and repository@apache.org

Now that Depot has closed doors, the need for Apache-wide artifact
handling has remained, and Maven is the only actor here that is willing
and able to pursue this road.

What relationship does the repository list have with Maven?
What relationship does Maven have with the repository list?

Ass Brett Porter has written, and I agree:
"
1) Maven PMC takes ownership for getting the repository right
2) Henk, myself (Maven PMC), Mark Diggory (if available), representative
from interested Apache projects PMC (most likely someone from Ant) get
together to sort out exactly what we think needs doing (we can use the
repository list if appropriate)
3) suggest small steps to fix each problem rather than coming up with a
killer solution that will never get implemented
4) can use the repository wiki for information based on what has already
been discussed
"

I'd add that to use a common repository, there needs an implementation
for all projects to use. It's easy, correct and resonable to think that
it should be under Maven. Is Wagon still active? The Depot project SVN
is still there, ready to be used if/when needed by the Maven project.

Thus I would add that the repository@apache.org list and wikis should
support and point users to the Maven repository handling code.

Does this sound reasonable?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:21:03 +0800, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 January 2005 16:39, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > The Depot project SVN
> > is still there, ready to be used if/when needed by the Maven project.
>
> From the Magic project we have spun off what we call Transit, which provides a
> simple, flexible and powerful solution to artifact management and handling.
>
> One of the most simple APIs one can imaging :o)
> By putting the transit jar in system classpath, the most rudimentary use is;
>
>   URL url = new URL( "artifact:jar:junit/junit#3.8.1" );
>
> which will return a cached artifact, downloaded from configured resource hosts
> out there.
> The resource hosts can be of different types (i.e. not only the maven
> organization), and the cache manager is also pluggable.
> Downloads over https is supported, as well as server authorization, but we
> still have not implemented certificate management and trust establishment,
> but is in the pipeline.

I think for the base repository, simplicity is good. I'd like to see
what simple improvements we can do to the existing maven system,
performance and security being the ones that matter to me. I even
worry about XML manifests at the top of the tree, as the nice thing
about the maven layout today is that a downloaded repository exactly
matches the remote one; its easy to create a local mirror site.

That said, Transit appeals to me as a way of adding URLs to the
UrlClassloader and suddenly giving us access to those versions of
those files that are served by nearby machines. Which lets you provide
a declaration in your favourite deployment language of what JARs you
need, and then *wherever* you deploy, you get the stuff you want.

This interests me in my day job, which is deployment of complex
applications onto grid fabrics, working on the (LGPL) SmartFrog
project (http://smartfrog.org). We use the URL classloader with
security turned on to effect some of the dynamic code download stuff
in that system, stuff RMI needs (for code download it needs both ends
of the system to be downloading stuff from the same URL). Transit
could make a difference there for fault tolerant deployment,
distributed JUnit and other fun things I try to do.

If there was some work going on in this area, I could perhaps get
involved with daytime engineering hours. Plus with access to
PlanetLab, we have a good test harness.

-Steve

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 06:43:34 +1100, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:24:13 -0500, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> > Is Maven willing to provide suitable support for Ant to use it?  I just want
> > to make sure that this is not the Maven repository, but is THE repository.
> > Tool-agnostic.
>
> Yes - I've already discussed this and Steve and Russell seem prepared
> to integrate it into their libraries task(s).
>
> There shouldn't need to be anything special required for Ant to use it
> - its a plain Java API.

The sole requirement would be that we can build it with no
dependencies other than JREs 1.2+ and Xerces/Crimson. That way we can
ship the task built in to ant without any need for external libraries.

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:24:13 -0500, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Is Maven willing to provide suitable support for Ant to use it?  I just want
> to make sure that this is not the Maven repository, but is THE repository.
> Tool-agnostic.

Yes - I've already discussed this and Steve and Russell seem prepared
to integrate it into their libraries task(s).

There shouldn't need to be anything special required for Ant to use it
- its a plain Java API.

Cheers,
Brett

RE: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> IMO we should [make] the Maven artifact handling better
> and used by all Apache and non-Apache projects.

Is Maven willing to provide suitable support for Ant to use it?  I just want
to make sure that this is not the Maven repository, but is THE repository.
Tool-agnostic.

	--- Noel

RE: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 January 2005 16:39, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>The Depot project SVN
>>is still there, ready to be used if/when needed by the Maven project.
>
>>>From the Magic project we have spun off what we call Transit, which provides a
> simple, flexible and powerful solution to artifact management and handling.
> Interested?

I'm sorry to say... no, I'm not.

I've already done the error of trying to spun off Depot, and I won't do
it again. There is only one Apache project that has actually done
something in the repository area and that's Maven.

IMO we should concentrate on that, and make the Maven artifact handling

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 11 January 2005 12:18, Russell Gold wrote:
> Is there currently a policy for how long files are kept in the
> repository? It seems to me that old versions are not kept very long at
> ibiblio, if there are newer versions available.

I am not sure if you are talking about the Transit client or central
repositories in general. So let's cover both.

Transit's CacheHandler is currently non-clearing, meaning all artifacts are
held in the local file system cache until explicitly deleted, and AFAIK that
is the case in Maven as well. We (the DPML folks) are planning to change that
to a LRU algorithm at some point.

Central repositories should *never* remove artifacts, as this may have
detrimental effects on applications. The general policy at ibiblio.org is the
same, and I think ibiblio.org itself doesn't interfere. It is the people who
have write access to ibiblio.org/maven that can possibly remove older
versions, but I have personally not seen this happening. Old versions lacking
is more often than not a matter of, only the recent ones have been added.

We (the DPML folks) are planning another ResourceHost type, which will request
the location(s) of the artifacts from its main host, and then download
directly from the source, such as SourceForge, tigris.org and others. We
think this is a more proper way of resolving artifact resources.

Cheers
Niclas
--
+---------//-------------------+
|   http://www.dpml.net        |

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Russell Gold <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 06 January 2005 09:21, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> How do you get around the problem that it is very difficult to get a
> url handler installed?  Does this library work only when it is
> installed into the system class path?

That is corrrect.
The "issue" is in the java.net.URL handling, where the internal class (I think
it was called URLClassPath) first tries to load the Handler with the callers
Classloader (which is the Bootstrap CL since java.net.URL is the caller), and
since that will fail for all custom ones, it then tries
ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader();

Unfortunately, so far Sun claims that the security issues are so unclear, that
they do not intend to fix this.

I fully agree that this is less than an ideal situation, but messing with the
default URLStreamHandlerFactory was not any better.

Internally we are working on a two layered approach, where the Handler is
loaded by the System CL, but the entire workload is delegated down to
reloadable parts. That is not ready yet.

Cheers
Niclas
---------------
Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.
 -  Steven Wright

+---------//-------------------+
|   http://www.dpml.net        |
|  http://niclas.hedhman.org   |
+------//----------------------+

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
How do you get around the problem that it is very difficult to get a
url handler installed?  Does this library work only when it is
installed into the system class path?

-dain

--
Dain Sundstrom
Chief Architect

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:42:30 +1100, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > JAR signing needs retrofitting to existing files, but has
> > the advantage that JVMs integrate with it and you can do other tricks
> > (like put http://ibiblio.org.../artifact.jar on the classpath with
> > security turned on)
>
> That I haven't looked into, but would also be a good, but optional
> feature. I think this is more of a build feature than a repository
> feature? In fact, I'm sure we already do this for JNLP.

yes, its a build feature. But if every jar was signed then you can
verify that it hasnt been tampered with, without having to verify MD5s
against those of a remote https site, etc etc. But it is
side-effecting on the jar.

> > 2. licenses. not just auto-download of .LICENSE files, but ideally
> > some way to do click-through that even Sun are happy with.
>
> Yeah, there's a low hundreds JIRA entry for that (ie OLD :) I think
> even that wouldn't fly with Sun IIRC but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I've been talking to Jesse Glick of the Netbeans team; they have some
public server with their own ant tasks to click-through licensing
every fetch -and provide a key for automated builds if you can justify
it.

What I'd like is

-license only appears if there is a change in the .LICENSE file
-in ant, the popup license would be managed so that IDEs, Cruise
control can do their own thing.
-you could register a set of licenses you always accept :
 "Apache,LGPL,Sun"
That'd need every license to be represented with a family and a
version, which means an XML file if I am not mistaken.

-steve

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> I'll be the Ant rep.

Great, thanks.

> I am co-author of the (still stabilising) Ant <libraries> task; it'd

yeah, I've got to 50 mail threads sitting flagged in gmail to read one
day, as this is about the extent of what I know about it :) (after you
introduced it to repository@ last year)

> 1. security. this could be with MD5 checksums, or it could be with
> signed JARs.

MD5's aren't going to do much for security - they're mainly for
download integrity. checking and publishing ASC files is a definite
want I have, and that can be ramped up to the level of security you
need (there are obviously varying levels of trust of the files and the
KEYS themselves).

> JAR signing needs retrofitting to existing files, but has
> the advantage that JVMs integrate with it and you can do other tricks
> (like put http://ibiblio.org.../artifact.jar on the classpath with
> security turned on)

That I haven't looked into, but would also be a good, but optional
feature. I think this is more of a build feature than a repository
feature? In fact, I'm sure we already do this for JNLP.

> 2. licenses. not just auto-download of .LICENSE files, but ideally
> some way to do click-through that even Sun are happy with.

Yeah, there's a low hundreds JIRA entry for that (ie OLD :) I think
even that wouldn't fly with Sun IIRC but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Should be easy to add hooks and allow a user to say "never ask again
for this license" to always accept ASL or something, but still report
the license on download.

Good ideas and reminders - keep them coming, and I'll put all this
together on the wiki tomorrow-ish.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:39:28 +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi
<ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> 2) Henk, myself (Maven PMC), Mark Diggory (if available), representative
> from interested Apache projects PMC (most likely someone from Ant) get
> together to sort out exactly what we think needs doing (we can use the
> repository list if appropriate)

I'll be the Ant rep.

I am co-author of the (still stabilising) Ant <libraries> task; it'd
be nice if we can get the immediate improvements into the repository
when there is time to get the changes into ant before 1.7 ships (which
is not in the immediate future)

> 3) suggest small steps to fix each problem rather than coming up with a
> killer solution that will never get implemented

Agreed.

I'm very interested in

1. security. this could be with MD5 checksums, or it could be with
signed JARs. JAR signing needs retrofitting to existing files, but has
the advantage that JVMs integrate with it and you can do other tricks
(like put http://ibiblio.org.../artifact.jar on the classpath with
security turned on)

2. licenses. not just auto-download of .LICENSE files, but ideally
some way to do click-through that even Sun are happy with. I was
discussing the latter informally with someone at Sun recently -how
it'd be nice to be able to retrieve files from some Sun server with
the appropriate licenses appearing and needing accepting before the
jar files are decrypted. This would be similar to the licensing stuff
you get in SuSE Linux's package updater, where you have to accept the
licenses for some downloads.

(2) is clearly more complex, lower priority and really needs active
involvement from Sun.

-steve

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
putting repository@ back on the list - gmail tends to drop lists
unless you reply to all (hope this is what you intended).

> Seems a reasonable first step. However it seems a little fragile if a
> project changes artifact names or splits an existing artifact. e.g. if
> commons-jelly splits into jelly-api and jelly-impl, at least with the
> existing structure all artifacts of a given type are together and can
> be easily seen. Once the directory structure changes in the new
> layout, browsing will be difficult.

I'm not sure what you mean: the existing one has commons-jelly-* JARS,
then commons-jelly-api-* and commons-jelly-impl-*. The new one would
have a commons-jelly subdirectory, a commons-jelly-api and
commons-jelly-impl subdirectory. They are all still side by side in
o/a/c/jelly/ ?

Still, an archival policy is a good idea so that commons-jelly can be
removed from here so people know what the current artifacts are (while
still being able to get the old ones).

I think there's merit to having 3 repositories: snapshot, archive and
current (current is not just the latest release, but all supported
releases). Equivalent to cvs.apache, archive.apache and www.apache
now.

Each can have different policies, but a common access technique.

- Brett

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> Take the commons-jelly/ directories on ibiblio and place them in a
> similar structure as an example.

org/apache/commons/jelly/commons-jelly/1.0/commons-jelly-1.0.jar[.md5|.asc], etc
org/apache/commons/jelly/commons-jelly-tags-ant/1.0/commons-jelly-1.0.jar
org/apache/commons/jelly/commons-jelly-tags-util/1.1/commons-jelly-1.1.jar

I guess there's a risk (especially if a project splits), that there be
a conflict between artifactId and groupId[n]. I've noted it in
confluence, and I'll look at how this differs to ASFRepository when
I'm not in need of sleep :)

Does this look ok?

> I think that document will need some more work.

Looking at it now, I agree it needs more examples, though I'm still
happy with the ideas.

- Brett

Re: Maven and repository@apache.org

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:14:27 +1100, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, can I check who is still actively involved here other than
> Nicola, Mark and myself?

I'm lurking.

> http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=8003

> From what I remember, it takes into account all of the points raised
> on the ASFRepository wiki layout document.

Having had a quick read of that document it *seems* limited to
'groups' (the groupId array) with only one artifact, i.e. the
plexus-container example is a little simplistic.

Take the commons-jelly/ directories on ibiblio and place them in a
similar structure as an example. It's not clear from that document
what the 'version' would refer to for multiple unrelated artifacts or
how the 'groupId' tree would be structured, e.g.

Is the groupId org.apache.commons.jelly?
Is it org.apache.commons.jelly.tags for the tag libraries which are
produced by the same 'group'?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
>>What interests me WRT repository is that it's possible for Ant users to
>>install an antlib that makes Wagon usable in Ant, and for Eclipse and
>>Netbeans users to be able to integrate it nicely in their artifact
>>stuff. Depot had an Eclipse pluin BTW.
>
> Can you elaborate on how it was integrated into Eclipse and Netbeans?
> I assume this would be when you add a dependency to a project - if so,
> that's definitely something that has been talked about (the MevenIDE
> project may have already done this - I'm not sure), and could use what
> was in depot to do so.

http://krysalis.org/ruper/eclipse/

Note that it supports multiple repositories.

>>>Out of interest, this is the proposed future repository layout for Maven:
>>>http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=8003
>>
>>Any recommendation on how to move on from there, keeping in mind that
>>there are already two wikis with different specs and two different lists
>>(dev@maven and this one)?
>
> I don't think discussing the repository format is helpful at this
> point - it is a big undertaking to change and I think there are other
> priorities (security, mirroring and cleanup). That seems to be where
> this list got bogged down last time, though what is there now looks
> pretty much final. When it's not so late, I'll look at what is
> actually different and whether this is even an issue.
>
> The repository code can have different repository layouts, so if
> necessary we can support different ones. Obviously, its preferable to
> agree and be consistent.
>
> Eventually it will make sense to cutover to a new layout - but we'll
> want to ensure everything is in place first.

Big +1 to this. Write it in stone :-)

>>The extra features needed are Apache mirroring support and use of the
>>Sourceforge system without needing to recreate a repository, that Depot
>>somewhat supported.
>
> That's interesting - being involved with a sourceforge project they
> prefered to release to a maven repository and not use sourceforge :)
>
> That's a good feature, though probably at the bottom of the list so far.

It permits project artifacts not to be put inside ibiblio, with the
security and access issues that it brings.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> Ant is adding a task so that providers can plug into it, and Wagon can
> continue to be used in Ant.

Absolutely - all I meant was that Wagon maintaining its own Ant task
was probably not necessary given that. Wagon can plugin in to that.

> If we splinter implementations, the repository effort will always be
> half-baked, and acceptance will suffer.

I agree.

> What interests me WRT repository is that it's possible for Ant users to
> install an antlib that makes Wagon usable in Ant, and for Eclipse and
> Netbeans users to be able to integrate it nicely in their artifact
> stuff. Depot had an Eclipse pluin BTW.

Can you elaborate on how it was integrated into Eclipse and Netbeans?
I assume this would be when you add a dependency to a project - if so,
that's definitely something that has been talked about (the MevenIDE
project may have already done this - I'm not sure), and could use what
was in depot to do so.

> If this means that we also need a maven.jar in the classpath, I have no
> problem with it, as long as users are not forced to run maven itself to
> download the artifacts.

Right. It wouldn't even be maven.jar - just a smaller JAR that does
the repository and snapshot handling. It's definitely separate.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Wagon's scope is really only transport though - uploading and
> downloading through a variety of providers with a common Java API
> (there was also an Ant task at one point - though since Ant have
> developed their own there is little point in updating the wagon one).

I disagree here.

Ant is adding a task so that providers can plug into it, and Wagon can
continue to be used in Ant.

If we splinter implementations, the repository effort will always be
half-baked, and acceptance will suffer.

> MD5 hashing is handled, and I'd like to add PGP signing obviously.
>
> However, the repository layout code is no longer in there. It is in a
> separate component of Maven, so there can be some discussion on our
> end about whether that really makes it part of the Wagon project, but
> not the Wagon API. That's really administrative more than anything.

What interests me WRT repository is that it's possible for Ant users to
install an antlib that makes Wagon usable in Ant, and for Eclipse and
Netbeans users to be able to integrate it nicely in their artifact
stuff. Depot had an Eclipse pluin BTW.

If this means that we also need a maven.jar in the classpath, I have no
problem with it, as long as users are not forced to run maven itself to
download the artifacts.

>>The Depot project SVN
>>is still there, ready to be used if/when needed by the Maven project.
>
> I'll take a look, thanks. Is there any doco available on what depot's
> advantages were, why it came into being and why it eventually closed?

http://incubator.apache.org/depot/
http://incubator.apache.org/depot/update/
http://incubator.apache.org/depot/version/
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/depot.html

(Update was caller Ruper)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Firstly, can I check who is still actively involved here other than
Nicola, Mark and myself?

Continuing on what was started in this thread:

> I'd add that to use a common repository, there needs an implementation
> for all projects to use. It's easy, correct and resonable to think that
> it should be under Maven. Is Wagon still active?

Yes, Wagon is quite close to a public release. It's been stable for
over a year, but has not really had the force behind it to justify
separation from Maven.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
 > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> Ass Brett Porter has written, and I agree:
>
> I hope the extra s was a slip up :)

Sorry :-/

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> What relationship does the repository list have with Maven?
> What relationship does Maven have with the repository list?

I see when it started in early 2003, Maven folk of the time were quite
active.

Even though Mark recently did some wiki updates, only Nicola, myself and
he registered as interested parties. I'd presumed the list to be mostly
dead.

I think it's as good as any to use to move this forward though, keeping
anyone in the loop that wishes to be.

I'll address the rest on the repository@ list - please join if you are
interested so we can keep the cross-posting down.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 06 January 2005 18:57, Leo Simons wrote:

> Maven has support, ant will have support, magic (from the DPML guys) has
> support, several ant-based scripts are around that provide support. Any
> tool that can HTTP GET can trivially be made to get files from the
> repository. For example I think I've done the basics in python, ruby, and
> bash+wget+grep every now and then.

What "we" (the Dpml guys, as well as Gump guys) would really like to see from
the Maven/Repository camp in the real short term, is 'placeholders' or just a
list of the groups and artifacts for non-publishable resources/jars, since
there is now a variety of different groups/artifactIds for javamail, jca, jdo
and many others. Letting each project define this makes my local repo a real
mess... :o(

Cheers
Niclas
--
---------------

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hi gang,

On 05-01-2005 09:39, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> What relationship does the repository list have with Maven?
> What relationship does Maven have with the repository list?
>
> Ass Brett Porter has written, and I agree:
> "
> 1) Maven PMC takes ownership for getting the repository right

IIRC repository@apache is actually a President's committee sort-of "hanging
off" infra@ that's been tasked with figuring all this stuff out. The reason
its not just the Maven PMC in the first place is that there's some other
people that have something to say as well (i.e. precisely the people listed
below). So I don't get why there's an ownership issue to reconsider. The
maven PMC peeps to work on this (Brett, Mark, anyone else who volunteers)
just get on the repository mailing list and JFDI.

> 2) Henk, myself (Maven PMC), Mark Diggory (if available), representative
> from interested Apache projects PMC (most likely someone from Ant) get
> together to sort out exactly what we think needs doing (we can use the
> repository list if appropriate)

Yep, sounds like a good idea.

> 3) suggest small steps to fix each problem rather than coming up with a
> killer solution that will never get implemented

Sounds like a good idea too. I'm guessing this is why I bailed out of that
mailing list in the first place; we were solving too big a problem at once.

> 4) can use the repository wiki for information based on what has already
> been discussed

And again, sounds like a good idea.

> I'd add that to use a common repository, there needs an implementation
> for all projects to use.

The repository@apache project was not tasked to deal with that. I think this
conflicts with #3.

Maven has support, ant will have support, magic (from the DPML guys) has
support, several ant-based scripts are around that provide support. Any tool
that can HTTP GET can trivially be made to get files from the repository.
For example I think I've done the basics in python, ruby, and bash+wget+grep
every now and then.

Cheers,

- Leo