Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/17 02:04:58 UTC

Re: Upgrade to Tomcat 7.0.6

I will pull the latest codes from trunk, just saw there is a new fix after
7.0.6. Also, for what the version number we use, after some discussion with
Shawn and Rex, I think that we might use 7.0.6.0 for M2, as it is clear for
us to know which corresponding Tomcat version we use.
Thoughts ?

--
Ivan

Re: Upgrade to Tomcat 7.0.6

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2011, at 9:39 PM, Rex Wang wrote:

> I prefer 7.0.6.0, as an private build always means an official build plus some extra fixes, no matter where the fixes are from (us or tomcat community)..

I'll try to be more explicit...

There are two types of changes which can be made to our Tomcat externals releases -- the Geronimo integration updates, which is the fundamental reason why we have our Tomcat externals releases (and are changes about which our community has a good understanding), and additional Tomcat functional changes (e.g. bug fixes).

Until we (as a community) are prepared to review and discuss all of the changes that may have occurred in Tomcat's svn between a "release" (e.g. 7.0.6) and the "current" 7.0.x Tomcat development branch, we should only be utilizing Tomcat "releases" as the basis for our Tomcat externals releases.

If there are additional bug fixes which we feel are absolutely vital, then the community needs to provide review and oversight of these changes on a case-by-case basis. I don't feel that occurs, if we start with a 7.0.x "SNAPSHOT" of Tomcat.

So, we should start with 7.0.6. Then, if we feel additional changes are really important, convince the community of each and every additional change and insure that the changes are appropriately reviewed by the Geronimo community.

--kevan

Re: Upgrade to Tomcat 7.0.6

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.
I prefer 7.0.6.0, as an private build always means an official build plus
some extra fixes, no matter where the fixes are from (us or tomcat
community)..

-Rex

--
Lei Wang (Rex)