Posted to dev@madlib.apache.org by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io> on 2016/11/28 22:39:55 UTC

MADlib Community Call: Pivotal R for MADlib & MADlib user survey results - Thurs, Dec 1, 2016

Dear MADlib, HAWQ, and Greenplum communities,

Here's a chance for us to get to know our end users better with this double
header call this Thursday, Dec 1, 2016.

Add to calendar
<https://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=dXJnbXI3YjBnaTRmODdkZ21zNzcyc3JvZXMgcGl2b3RhbC5pb191OGtndnVhaGprYm9oMWduZmh2NXRzMnY5Y0Bn&ctz=America/Los_Angeles>
| Join the call <https://pivotal.zoom.us/j/248236262>

The first half of this call, we'll be discussing new features in the open
source Pivotal R project that compliments MADlib, HAWQ, and Greenplum.  In
the second half, we'll talk about a recent survey of MADlib users.

*Talk #1: What's New in Pivotal R*
Pivotal R is a popular interface for running data science investigations
using Apache MADlib with Greenplum Database, Apache HAWQ, and PostgreSQL.

It allows R developers to work with relational database structures such as
tables and views and operate on data in the database without having to
switch to SQL. Pivotal R also provides a wrapper for Apache MADlib so that
data scientists can directly call the parallel processing functions of
MADlib. This gives them the full power of in-database processing in their
familiar R environment.

You can find Pivotal R here:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/PivotalR/index.html

*Talk #2: Apache MADlib User Survey Results*
In the second half of this call, we'll be discussing the results of a
recent user survey of Apache MADlib users. Hear which platform they like
best: Greenplum, HAWQ, or PostgreSQL. Hear which use cases are the most
popular.

This survey was recently lauded at ApacheCon EU as a great example of user
experience research in open source.

You can find the results posted here:
http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/community-artifacts/Apache-MADlib-user-survey-results-Oct-2016.pdf

See you Thursday!