Posted to user@ant.apache.org by ra...@spamex.com on 2005/06/10 03:13:54 UTC

valid characters for target names

Hi,

Could someone please clarify what is a valid characters for
a target name?

I have been using spaces in the target names, e.g. "install server",
because it is more readable, and since I only invoke ant through
my IDE (IntelliJ) I don't care that spaces make it harder to use on
the commandline.

But I was reading the ant manual, and it seemed to say that the
target names should only be alphanumeric.  That seems extreme
to me. Does that mean you can't use space, hypen, or underscore?

Thanks,
-Alex

"A target name can be any alphanumeric string valid in the encoding of the XML file. The empty string "" is in this set, as is comma "," and space " ". Please avoid using these, as they will not be supported in future Ant versions because of all the confusion they cause. IDE support of unusual target names, or any target name containing spaces, varies with the IDE."

http://ant.apache.org/manual/using.html#targets