Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by super himself <su...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/22 18:40:58 UTC

Continuum won't install

Hi,

We are evaluating an open source CI tool for a government organization and
are considering Continuum and Hudson. We are already using Maven as a build
tool.

After trying to install continuum 1.2 and 1.2.2 on Jonas, we are
experiencing so many problems. The write once run anywhere paradigm doesn't
lead so far even though our application server is J2EE certified. We had to
play a lot around jar files in the continuum.war and the container to
accommodate continuum but without success so far. We''ve got eventually an
instable working installation(although not satisfying too many exceptions
throwing out). Continuum user interface looks good when it
works...Integration with Maven is easy so far.

On the other hand, we gave a try to hudson, and it took 2 minutes to
download 1 minute to install, just drop the war in the right place and there
you go. It is easy to start. it does what we expected from it. Hudson user
interface looks a bit naive and is quite weak even though the product does
well it CI job. The security module is very very rudimentary and the
granularity is not enough. You have to play a lot with the xml files to get
it to work. It also stores all data in flat files which seems to be a
limitation for large configurations. The projects are also stored in a flat
format, there is no structure to group projects files together, this is a
real limitation for large organizations like ours.

We are interesting in experiences and feedbacks from similar organizations
to help us make a choice.

Regards,

CI team.