Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Daniel Gross <gr...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/13 13:10:39 UTC

protege or equivalent for Jena

Hi,

I am new to apache Jena and have been using Protege ontology editor before.

I'd like to know how i can best interactively create and manage ontologies
stored in Jena -- can Protege be used? What else can be used -- what is
recommended?

thank you,

Daniel

Dr. Daniel Grosshttp://www.linkedin.com/in/grossd18

Re: protege or equivalent for Jena

Posted by "John A. Fereira" <ja...@cornell.edu>.
If you’re looking for an open source solution, the VIVO project can be used as an ontology editor.   VIVO is a semantic web applications initially designed for the academic environment and uses Jena on the back end.  VIVO also includes a robust ontology for modeling an academic environment (along with numerous other onltologies) but can be downloaded as “Vitro” which is basically VIVO without the ontology here:  https://github.com/vivo-project/Vitro

More information about VIVO/Vitro can be found here:  https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/VIVO/VIVO

On 11/13/17, 5:14 PM, "Holger Knublauch" <ho...@topquadrant.com> wrote:

    On 14/11/2017 8:12, Philippe GENOUD wrote:

    > Le 13/11/2017 à 22:59, Holger Knublauch a écrit :
    >>

    >> On 13/11/2017 23:10, Daniel Gross wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am new to apache Jena and have been using Protege ontology editor
    >>> before.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to know how i can best interactively create and manage
    >>> ontologies
    >>> stored in Jena -- can Protege be used? What else can be used -- what is
    >>> recommended?
    >>
    >> There is a tool called TopBraid Composer (that also has a Free Edition)
    > I didn't found the TBC Free Edition link on topquadrant web site. Any
    > hint ?

    Yeah, it's a bit hidden. Our focus is on enterprise customers. Just
    click Downloads (you can skip registration) and select the product.

    Regards,
    Holger

Posted by Holger Knublauch <ho...@topquadrant.com>.

Posted by Philippe GENOUD <Ph...@imag.fr>.

--
Philippe Genoud
Universite Grenoble Alpes

Re: protege or equivalent for Jena

Posted by Holger Knublauch <ho...@topquadrant.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Vanel <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel

It's too bad that Protégé Web is an SQL app !

You could use semantic_forms, it makes forms for any vocabulary, it's on
top of Jena,
but it's not particularly suited for editing OWL (and creating RDF lists is
not implemented) ,
but you can try with the sandbox:
http://semantic-forms.cc:9111/

( Release tomorrow ! )

> I am new to apache Jena and have been using Protege ontology editor before.
>
> I'd like to know how i can best interactively create and manage ontologies
> stored in Jena -- can Protege be used? What else can be used -- what is
> recommended?
>
> thank you,
>
> Daniel

> Dr. Daniel Grosshttp://www.linkedin.com/in/grossd18