Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/08/04 20:06:17 UTC

notification/commit list (was: JAMES Projects on Hudson)

Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> set an appropriate reply-to usually works ok for most clients
>> My concern was about discussions happening via JIRA comments, they would not
>> go through the discussion list, but only the admin list. Currently a JIRA
>> comment is the substitute for a mailing list post. If we move JIRA
>> notifications to an admin list beside svn comments they will loose
>> visibility to developers not subscribed to the notification list.
>
> makes sense

>>> fine by me
>> What is the list name used by other projects in this cases?
>> notifications@james.a.o?
>
> probably commits. see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/

commits is the most common (hundreds of them). Then I see 9
"notifications" lists.

It seems we agree on this. What is the procedure? Should we open a
proposal thread so more people will be aware of this discussion?

I prefer "notifications@" because we'll put there more than commits but
I'm fine with "commits@" too.

Stefano

Re: notification/commit list (was: JAMES Projects on Hudson)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> My concern was about discussions happening via JIRA comments, they would
>>> not
>>> go through the discussion list, but only the admin list. Currently a JIRA
>>> comment is the substitute for a mailing list post. If we move JIRA
>>> notifications to an admin list beside svn comments they will loose
>>> visibility to developers not subscribed to the notification list.
>>
>> makes sense

>>> What is the list name used by other projects in this cases?
>>> notifications@james.a.o?
>>
>> probably commits. see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/
>
> commits is the most common (hundreds of them). Then I see 9 "notifications"
> lists.
>
> It seems we agree on this. What is the procedure? Should we open a proposal
> thread so more people will be aware of this discussion?

for a new mailing list, it's best to have a VOTE

> I prefer "notifications@" because we'll put there more than commits but I'm
> fine with "commits@" too.

i'd recommend a POLL: the idea is to gauge support for various
alternatives so that it's possible to call a good binary VOTE. see
below for example

- robert

<example>
[POLL] Development Mailing Lists