Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Merijn Boom <me...@eurorscg.nl> on 2006/06/21 15:18:02 UTC

svn propset svn:externals URL

Hi,

I try to set the svn property externals on a directory by the command
line with:

svn propset "svn:externals" "DIRNAME svn://URL/"
"PATH_TO_SET-PROPERTY_ON"

after that I receive the message:

svn: Setting property on non-local target svn://URL/" is not supported

I can set this up with Tortoise SVN so basically Subversion supports it
(or should support it) but how can I set this up using the command line
(because I'm creating a project setup script)?

Merijn

Re: svn propset svn:externals URL

Posted by Phil Endecott <sp...@chezphil.org>.
> svn propset "svn:externals" "DIRNAME svn://URL/" "PATH_TO_SET-PROPERTY_ON"
> after that I receive the message:
> svn: Setting property on non-local target svn://URL/" is not supported

I think you need to post the exact command that you tried.
It thinks that svn://URL/" is the thing that you are setting the property ON, rather than the value that you are setting the property TO.
You would probably get this if you have typed

svn propset "svn:externals" DIRNAME svn://URL/ "PATH_TO_SET-PROPERTY_ON"
instead of
svn propset "svn:externals" "DIRNAME svn://URL/" "PATH_TO_SET-PROPERTY_ON"

Phil.

Re: svn propset svn:externals URL

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/21/06, Merijn Boom <me...@eurorscg.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to set the svn property externals on a directory by the command line
> with:
>
> svn propset "svn:externals" "DIRNAME svn://URL/" "PATH_TO_SET-PROPERTY_ON"
>
> after that I receive the message:
>
> svn: Setting property on non-local target svn://URL/" is not supported
>
> I can set this up with Tortoise SVN so basically Subversion supports it (or
> should support it) but how can I set this up using the command line (because
> I'm creating a project setup script)?

Is PATH_TO_SET-PROPERTY_ON a path to a directory in a working copy?
The error indicates that it is not, and it must be for propset to
work.

/Johan

Re: svn propset svn:externals URL

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 21, 2006, at 17:35, steveking wrote:

> Merijn Boom wrote:
>
>> I try to set the svn property externals on a directory by the
>> command line with:
>> svn propset "svn:externals" "DIRNAME svn://URL/" "PATH_TO_SET-
>> PROPERTY_ON"
>
> svn propset svn:externals "DIRNAME svn://URL/ PATH_TO_SET-PROPERTY_ON"
>
> Check the quotation marks - you must enquote the whole property value.

Now that's wrong though. The command Merijn gave is actually correct:

svn propset "svn:externals" "DIRNAME svn://URL/" "PATH_TO_SET-
PROPERTY_ON"

The property name is "svn:externals", the value is "DIRNAME svn://
URL/", and the path on which the property should be set is
"PATH_TO_SET-PROPERTY_ON". The fact that it's not working means that
we're not seeing the complete picture, so I would agree with Phil,
that we need to see the actual unobfuscated command used:

Posted by Michael Haggerty <mh...@alum.mit.edu>.
Merijn Boom wrote:
> What I want to create is a script which is creating the project,
> including all our subdirectories including our library directory.
>
> Projectname
> |
> ->projectfiles
> |
> ->libaries
>
> If I use the command:
>
> svn propset svn:externals "libaries svn://domain/trunk projectname"
> Projectname
>
> I get an error:
>
> svn: Setting property on non-local target svn://URL/" is not supported
>
> Which if I translated it correctly means that I can use this command on
> a directory in the same repository but not on an external repository
> while this is possible with TortoiseSVN.
>
> Did I overlooked an answer in one of your replies or was it that I did
> not make my self clear enough?

Are you sure that you are invoking svn directly using the command that
you showed?  My guess is that somebody has written a wrapper script for
svn which isn't passing quoted arguments through correctly.  (It's a
little tricky.  Using sh or bash, such a wrapper script should look
something like

    #! /bin/sh
    /usr/bin/svn --my-extra-options-or-whatever "$@"

.)  The '"$@"' ensures that the quoting in the original command line is
preserved.

Michael

RE: svn propset svn:externals URL

Posted by Merijn Boom <me...@eurorscg.nl>.
Hi Stefan,

Thank you very much this indeed is the solution.

Regards,

Merijn

Posted by Stefan Küng <st...@gmx.ch>.

--
        ___

RE: Re: svn propset svn:externals URL

Posted by Merijn Boom <me...@eurorscg.nl>.
Hi,

First of all thanks for the answers.

Let me make clear what I would like to do.

We have a repository with our libaries stored in the trunk. Let's call
this our Library repository reachable at svn://domain/trunk.

In an other repository we have sotred our projects. Our projects
repository. Reachable at svn://domain/trunk/projectname

What I want to create is a script which is creating the project,
including all our subdirectories including our library directory.

Projectname

->projectfiles

->libaries

If I use the command:

svn propset svn:externals "libaries svn://domain/trunk projectname"
Projectname

I get an error:

svn: Setting property on non-local target svn://URL/" is not supported

Which if I translated it correctly means that I can use this command on
a directory in the same repository but not on an external repository
while this is possible with TortoiseSVN.

Did I overlooked an answer in one of your replies or was it that I did
not make my self clear enough?

Thanks again,

Merijn

Posted by steveking <st...@gmx.ch>.