Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hans Kind <hk...@adgrafix.com> on 2001/03/07 15:16:36 UTC

Tomcat/Apache port number sue

Hi,

We got Apache running on port 80, and Tomcat on port 8080.

Running http://www.kindserver.com:8080 takes me to the Tomcat example page,
and the JSP and JServ pages work ok.

When I go to

http://www.kindserver.com/examples/servlets/
http://www.kindserver.com/examples/jsp/

all the examples return a document contains no data error.

How do I setup Apache so that without the need of the port number in the
url, the JServ and JSP pages are handled bij Tomcat corecty.

I went trough the install instructions, mailing lists and other
documentation, but couldn't find a slid answe:~(

rgds

Hans Kind

Re: Tomcat/Apache port number sue

Posted by Christopher Albert <ca...@selftrade.com>.
Hans,

Normally port 8080 is for tomcat's own web server.
So when I connect to http://www.kindserver.com:8080,
I get tomcat's default home page from the tomcat
web server. Mod_jk works with apache on port 80.

First what do your mod_jk.log and tomcat.log and apache error.log
files say?
Next we need to see the relevant parts of you mod_jk.conf and
workers.properties files.
WHat kind of system are you running on?

Chris

Posted by Hans Kind <ha...@kindserver.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christopher Albert <ca...@selftrade.com>.

Re: tomcat ssl config and apache

Posted by "Brett W . McCoy" <bm...@chapelperilous.net>.
On 2001.03.07 21:36 mikhail malamud wrote:

> Do I need to configure anything on Tomcat for SSL if I already have SSL
> working on Apache and Apache  works together with Tomcat. Why?

There's very little you need to configure, actually.  You will probably want to
capture some of the SSL session variables that Apache uses.  See

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/tomcat-ssl-howto.html#s3

for the full details.  It's actually quite simple, just a couple of directives
in the mod_jk.conf file.

Note that you *must* use Ajp13 and mod_jk to be able to do this.

-- Brett

http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Any stone in your boot always migrates against the pressure gradient to
exactly the point of most pressure.
		-- Milt Barber

Re: tomcat ssl config and apache

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, mikhail malamud wrote:

> Do I need to configure anything on Tomcat for SSL if I already have
> SSL working on Apache and Apache works together with Tomcat. Why?

I don't believe so -- that's how I have it set up (i.e. Apache with
SSL), and I didn't have to set anything extra up (i.e. to get Tomcat
working with it).  If you're using Tomcat standalone, I believe there
are some extra steps involved (check the comments in the server.xml
file).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: tomcat ssl config and apachey

Posted by Jan Labanowski <jk...@osc.edu>.
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, mikhail malamud wrote:

> Do I need to configure anything on Tomcat for SSL if I already have SSL
> working on Apache and Apache  works together with Tomcat. Why?
>

> Thanks,
>
> MIkhail

You do not only need, but you actually cannot configure SSL in Tomcat
if your requests are handled by Apache. The SSL in Tomcat is only
used when you use Tomcat as a web server. If you use Tomcat as a servlet/JSP
container which talks to apache via mod_jk, you have to configure SSL
in Apache.
Things to remember is that if you want to serve your servlets/JSP ONLY
via HTTPS you must incluse all the mod_jk context mounting stuff
within the virtual host, e.g.,

<VirtualHost _default_:443>
Include /full/path/to/mod_jk.conf
</VirtualHost>

in your httpd.conf, but you must comment out/delete the

LoadModule jk_module          libexec/mod_jk.so
AddModule mod_jk.c

within mod_jk.conf file and add them in the Load/Add/Module block at the
beginning of your httpd.conf

If you want to do HTTP and HTTPS with identical contexts, you just
include your /full/path/to/mod_jk.conf in httpd.conf before the
SSL virtural host, though it will also work if you include it at the
very end of httpd.conf

Jan

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: jkl@osc.edu
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.osc.edu/

tomcat ssl config and apache