Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/03 10:42:16 UTC

@YEAR@ in jmeter_as_ascii_art.txt becomes stale in less than a year

Hi,

I see jmeter_as_ascii_art.txt has the following footer:

Copyright (c) 1999-@YEAR@ The Apache Software Foundation

I suggest we remove the line and print copyright footer right in
org.apache.jmeter.JMeter#displayAsciiArt
It would ensure the copyright is proper no matter how long JMeter is
used (currently @YEAR@ is fixed at build time).

Vladimir

Re: @YEAR@ in jmeter_as_ascii_art.txt becomes stale in less than a year

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 12:20, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sebb> otherwise why make a release?
>
> For instance to validate that sha1 of the produced jars would match
> (cross-check for MITM)

That's not a release, but I get the point that the build would create
a different file if done in a different year.

> If we take the year from notice it might be a bit odd, but it would confine
> the year to a single place.

Alternatively, the copyright year could be defined in the build file,
and used to populate the files that need it.

It's important that the year is correct in the releases that we make.
I think it is currently (except possibly for the edge case of an early
January release), but if you want to change the process, feel free, so
long as releases have the correct year.

Other builds are not releases.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 11:20, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, wrong quoting:
>
> sebb>Note that copyright relates to the last (significant) change to the code.
> sebb>If the code is not changed, the year should not be updated.
>
> I still see no reason to tie jmeter_as_ascii_art.txt to **build** date.

For release builds, I think YEAR will be the same as the last
significant change - otherwise why make a release?

But I take your point that this is not the case for all builds.

I would expect the year to be the same as in the NOTICE file.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Vladimir> Note that copyright relates to the last (significant) change
to the code.
Vladimir>If the code is not changed, the year should not be updated.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.