Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Steve <kf...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/16 01:26:07 UTC

Does log4cxx SocketHubAppender work with Chainsaw ?

Chainsaw connects to my SocketHubAppender and then immediately drops the
connection. There were some old posts regarding this issue. I was wondering if
this has been fixed/implemented ? Thanks.

Re: Does log4cxx SocketHubAppender work with Chainsaw ?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 15, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Steve wrote:

> Chainsaw connects to my SocketHubAppender and then immediately
> drops the
> connection. There were some old posts regarding this issue. I was
> wondering if
> this has been fixed/implemented ? Thanks.

I believe there is still a problem and I do not know any work that
has been done on the issue.  I believe the XmlSocketAppender does
work with Chainsaw.  The plain binary socket appenders did not
attempt to mimic the binary format used by log4j (which is the Java
serialization format of the LoggingEvent class).  For years, I've had
on my to-do list to document the binary layout of the serialization
of LoggingEvent, but I've never been quite that bored.  Actually, it
is something that you'd have to devote uninterrupted time and that
has been rare for me.  Once you understood the layout of the log4j's
serialization of LoggingEvent, you could likely modify log4cxx to
write out the same stuff.