Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/10/29 17:05:32 UTC

Video from ACEU

Since ACEU has sold out cash is available for a few nice extras. One of the extras we are considering is recording all video of the various tracks. Unfortunately the budget doesn't quite stretch to covering all tracks.

The Lucene track is being covered by a third party. Which leaves 5 tracks.

Would the aoo-marketing team be interested in having video for all the AOO talks?

Cost is around €1500 per track per day (precise cost will depend on how many tracks we decide to record). This only includes an HD video recording of the speaker. There is no post-production in this so the AOO marketing team would need to do something useful with the raw files.

Would the aoo-marketing team like to contribute towards the costs to ensure the AOO tracks are included?

I'm afraid we have to move fast on this as a decision point as the event is next week now.

Ross

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
OpenDirective
http://opendirective.com

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 29/10/2012 Ross Gardler wrote:
> There will be audio recordings regardless of the decision on video.
> This will not capture Q&A, only the speaker.

I don't have a strong opinion here, but especially for technical talks a
good audio recording and slides could be enough (you want to see the
slides rather than the speaker, and I hope it's not so hard, if needed,
to capture the screen in real time; but I don't really know what
equipment is available).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 10/30/2012 1:58 PM, Graham Lauder wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

Video recording can also greatly work with self-shooting. The pitfalls
were the inexperienced usually fail are: insufficient testing of the
equipment and setup, unawareness of the speaker how (s)he has to use the
microphone and absence of persons who takes care to correct the latter.

To overcome that, Graham has once written a great article on the OOo
wiki that should provide all the knowledge for shooting conference videos:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/How_to_assure_good_quality_of_video_recordings

Peter

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

RE: Video from ACEU

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> > Since ACEU has sold out cash is available for a few nice extras. One of
> the extras we are considering is recording all video of the various tracks.
> Unfortunately the budget doesn't quite stretch to covering all tracks.
> >
> > The Lucene track is being covered by a third party. Which leaves 5
> tracks.
> >
> > Would the aoo-marketing team be interested in having video for all the
> AOO talks?
> >
> > Cost is around €1500 per track per day (precise cost will depend on how
> many tracks we decide to record). This only includes an HD video recording
> of the speaker. There is no post-production in this so the AOO marketing
> team would need to do something useful with the raw files.
> >
> > Would the aoo-marketing team like to contribute towards the costs to
> ensure the AOO tracks are included?
> >

> The alternatives, which are lesser cost, include:
>
> 1) Posting the slides
>
> 2) Having the authors of the presentations do audio narration of their
> presentations in the comfort of their own office and post that, e.g.,
> Camtasia and Youtube.

I like slideshare, is not only better fit for presentations, but slidecast
feature makes it easy to merge the audio with video.

> The download of those approaches is that we don't get a recording of Q&A,
> etc.

3) option is to audio record the conference, by adding a splitter (or a 2nd
output) from the mixer (that hold the mic) to a recording device, whenever
is a phone, or a laptop running audacity.

> I also wonder what % of the track is currently assigned to sessions
> that would not tape well, like open discussions, hacking sessions,
> etc. ?

> And unless we have a sponsor for this, the 1500/day comes out of a
> finite pool of remaining SPI funds.  So having these recordings would
> mean less for travel reimbursements to a future event.

+1

> Honestly, most of the presentations are rather deep technical dives.
> This is a good thing.  But only a small subset of the talks would have
> good potential for marketing value, the general overview and
> future-looking talks.  If there were a way to record just a handful of
> sessions, at a pro-rated cost,  that would be ideal.
>
> I don't have a really strong opinion on this.   But I would note that
> we've heard recently from a number of people expressing some urgency
> about funding conference attendance for other conferences, and I have
> not heard anyone recently express a desire for session videos.   So I
> wonder if it makes sense to preserve the funds for that, if that is
> where we think the maximum marketing value is?

I think video is important, but nowadays video is so trivial and
inexpensive that it can be done with a smartphone, and a small tripod. Key
is ALWAYS the audio input, so there is a tip to get a top notch audio is to
get it straight from the source (like the mixer) or have the speaker wear a
dictation device or smartphone on his shirt pocket.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Whilst looking at alternatives is useful for future planning be sure not to
jump to conclusions.

Just hiring a decent camera and buying an appropriate hard disk will cost
around 800. Then you need someone who knows how to operate it.

Sure it is possible to have an enthusiastic volunteer point a domestic
camera and plug it into ustream or somewhere, but this is not what we are
taliing about here.

The price is high (the venue says we use their people or no-one) but its
not as high as some comparisons would have us believe.

That said, it seems clear that AOO does not see enough value in this form
of video at this time. Especially when I remind you that audio will be
available.

Thanks for the fast feedback (there is still time to make it happen, but
only a few hours - sorry about the lack of suitable discussion period).

Ross

Sent from my tablet

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
> On 10/29/12, Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:25:56PM -0400, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>> @marketing team:
>>>
>>> Can we meet via IM or email and come to a resolution on the proposal
>>
>> Decision making takes place on ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org, this is
>> something you should be supposed to know by now, as PCM member.
>
> +1
>
> That said it would be good if a proposal can be worked out in private
> and avoid 35+ threads of proposal wording. THEN reach a decision on
> the ML.

Ariel is correct.  We don't move to a private thread just to avoid the
messiness of broader discussion.    And we don't have 35+ threads.  We
have a single thread.  And so far I seem to be the only one who has
commented on the merits of a video versus other uses of these funds,
which should be (IMHO) a prime consideration here.

-Rob

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Re: Video from ACEU

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 12-10-29, at 12:05 , "Ross Gardler" <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:

> Since ACEU has sold out cash is available for a few nice extras. One of the extras we are considering is recording all video of the various tracks. Unfortunately the budget doesn't quite stretch to covering all tracks.

What service is being considered?

> The Lucene track is being covered by a third party. Which leaves 5 tracks.
>
> Would the aoo-marketing team be interested in having video for all the AOO talks?

The team has not met on this to speak with one voice yet, so I'll be one voice speaking but not for the team. I think it would be a splendid idea.

> Cost is around €1500 per track per day (precise cost will depend on how many tracks we decide to record). This only includes an HD video recording of the speaker. There is no post-production in this so the AOO marketing team would need to do something useful with the raw files.

I am curious why it's so costly… given that we could also use, say, much ruder tech?

> Would the aoo-marketing team like to contribute towards the costs to ensure the AOO tracks are included?

Let's meet on this, team, yes?

> I'm afraid we have to move fast on this as a decision point as the event is next week now.

Yes, of course.

@marketing team:

Can we meet via IM or email and come to a resolution on the proposal to spend the money to ensure that AOO tracks are recorded per Apache's contract with the recorder for around 1500 euros/track?

Louis