Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ja...@axxessit.no on 2004/02/27 13:46:36 UTC

Depenceny version..

Hi all.

I'm just wondering... Have you ever attempted to create a dependency
without the <version/> or <jar/>
tags?

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'd expect Maven to look for a jar
${dep.groupId}/jars/${dep.artifactId}.jar - but instead
it attempts to locate ${dep.groupId}/jars/${dep.artifactId}-.jar :-/

This is RC-1.0 by the way.

Re: Depenceny version..

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 07:46, jan-helge.bergesen@axxessit.no wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm just wondering... Have you ever attempted to create a dependency
> without the <version/> or <jar/>
> tags?

You need to have a version element. If you want to override the naming
convention we force you to use the <jar/> element. But the handling of
that should certainly be better.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: Depenceny version..

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Not that this is something which would jump right out at a person, but
if you check the XSD definition for the project.xml file (see
$MAVEN_HOME/project.xsd), I believe you'll see that the version tag is a
required element. Therefore, the XML document isn't even valid without
it. The reason maven doesn't squawk at this is that it doesn't check for
XML validity when parsing...the XSD is a guide, but should remain the
authoritative source, even if not checked.

-john

--
John Casey
jdcasey@commonjava.org