Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/22 00:04:16 UTC

Mahout Vs Spark

Hi Team,

As Spark framework is gaining more attention in the Big Data - Open source
frameworks, with the support for variety of applications like,

1) Shark
2) GraphX
3) MLLib
4) Streaming

With the rapid development algorithms supporting Clustering,
Classification, Regression etc in the MLlib package and inbuilt support for
Scala.
I am trying to differentiate between Mahout and Spark, here is the small
list,

  Features Mahout Spark  Clustering Y Y  Classification Y Y
Regression Y Y  Dimensionality
Reduction Y Y  Java Y Y  Scala N Y  Python N Y  Numpy N Y  Hadoop Y Y  Text
Mining Y N  Scala/Spark Bindings Y N/A  scalability Y  Y
Apart from above, Mahout has vast coverage of Machine Learning algorithms
with many utilities and API's as opposed to Spark.
And Mahout 1.0 providing support for Scala, Spark bindings.

I was trying to demarcate between Mahout and Spark?
Can you throw some light on key differences and uniqueness of Mahout
framework. Am I missing any important distinction which makes Mahout the
only choice for Scalable machine learning.

Best,
Mahesh.B

Re: Mahout Vs Spark

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
What you say does not imply that numpy can inter-operate with existing
Spark machine learning code.  It is also certainly the case that no numpy
currently uses Spark.

It may well be that users could use numpy in closures being sent to Spark,
but that is a far walk from useful parallel numerical code.

Re: Mahout Vs Spark

Posted by thejas prasad <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout Vs Spark

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm....

Re: Mahout Vs Spark

Posted by Nil Kulkarni <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Personally, the most exciting additions that are coming to Mahout are
all the scala and spark bindings that are bringing linear algebra semantics.Far too often, a canned algorithm never works as expected, and asdata scientists we want to try out a bunch of algorithmic tweaks whichrequire getting into the code. With these bindings, we can try outmore researchy stuff and have it production ready.
Nilesh

     On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:01 PM, Lee S <sl...@gmail.com> wrote:

 As a developer, who is facing the library  chosen between mahout and mllib,
I have some idea below.
Mahout has no any decision tree algorithm. But MLLIB has the components of
constructing a decision tree algorithm such as gini index, information
gain. And also  I think mahout can add algorithm about frequency pattern
mining which is very import in feature selection and statistic analysis.
MLLIB has no frequent mining algorithms.
p.s Why fpgrowth algorithm is removed in version 0.9?

Re: Mahout Vs Spark

Posted by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitriy,

My apologizes if I have conveyed my questions incorrectly.
Also my intentions are definitely NOT arguments.

I have experience with Mahout, I am also working on some content to make
Mahout simplified due to which I needed this clarifications. I am also
validating both the frameworks, just wanted to take some inputs from the
active contributors.

Best!
Mahesh Balija.

Re: Mahout Vs Spark