Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Cla Emanuel Monsch <cl...@netcetera.ch> on 2007/10/10 16:14:24 UTC

Releasing modules with different Java versions

Hi

We have a multi module Maven 2 project with some modules that are to be
built for Java 1.4 whereas others for Java 1.5. The Java 1.5 modules
depend on Java 1.4 modules, never the other way around. We set the Java
version with:

   <build>
     <plugins>
       <plugin>
         <configuration>
           <source>1.4</source>
           <target>1.4</target>
           <showDeprecation>true</showDeprecation>
         </configuration>
       </plugin>
     </plugins>
   </build>

Or 1.5 respectively

ncamaven compile
completes successfully
ncamaven release:prepare
completes successfully
ncamaven release:perform
uses -source 1.4 and -target 1.4 for all modules and therefore fails. We
know this because of the compiler error we get. We have tried to set 1.4
in the parent pom and 1.5 only in the modules that require it and
setting the version in every module explicitly. Both configurations
expose the same behavior.

Is this kind of setup supposed to work? Is the error on our side or Maven 2?

Cheers
--
Cla Emanuel Monsch | cla.monsch@netcetera.ch
phone +41-44-247 79 06 | fax +41-44-247 70 75