Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by xiong duan <no...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/28 22:44:50 UTC

[SITE-IMPROVEMENT] Issue need to confirm about the API web

After checking the regenerate the Web, I noticed a small problem with the
Calcite API URI https://calcite.apache.org/javadocAggregate/ . The doc
title should be "Apache Calcite API", but is "Apache Calcite calcite API".
Same as Avatica, The doc title should be " Apache Calcite Avatica API", but
is "Apache Calcite Avatica calcite-avatica API". I think this is a problem.
Do you think so?

Re: [SITE-IMPROVEMENT] Issue need to confirm about the API web

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Chunwei Lei <ch...@gmail.com>.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
The easiest would be to wrap code with {% highlight java %} / {% highlight
bash %}, which is also used in various other places of the .md file
already, instead of back-ticks. Like that there will be a horizontal scroll
bar when needed.

Alternatively as Julian mentioned we can change the wrapping behavior of
code blocks via CSS, using for instance the whitespace attribute [1]
although the latter will not make any difference if there are no
whitespaces.

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/white-space

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
You’re right, those 3 examples don’t look great. They all seem to be caused by Jekyll’s code block (back-ticks), e.g. https://github.com/apache/calcite/blame/cbda134d8e75a8a5c63a1aa9bcddab6fc6756021/site/_docs/howto.md#L73 <https://github.com/apache/calcite/blame/cbda134d8e75a8a5c63a1aa9bcddab6fc6756021/site/_docs/howto.md#L73>.