Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by de...@verizon.net on 2005/03/04 07:36:14 UTC

incubator/open-source project: help?

Hello,

I'm new around here, so please forgive me if I don't follow protocol ;-)

I represent a software development company that has designed a J2EE Component Library that we've licensed to some investment Banks and Manufacturing companies. It's a large product with a ton of functionality, full documentation, manuals, etc and would easily take a couple of hours to overview. In some cases it's used to supplement Struts, in others, apps are written in it solely. We have strong endorsement from our customer base and their developers, good development/support staff of our own that works regular build cycles, handles issue tracking, etc. However, we're not marketing people - just good architects and "coders who care" who occasionally get some neat ideas.

We've been told a number of times that to properly steward our labor of love - it really should be in the open source community.

I wouldn't know where to begin ...Would any good natured soul out there be willing to speak with us offline, and give some direction?

Any input appreciated.

Regards,
Rob DeVito

Re: incubator/open-source project: help?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
If you're still looking, I'm happy to make some time to offer suggestions etc.

There are also people starting to make this kind of thing a business case.

Bob McWhirter (founder of Codehaus.org) has a company called Open
Xource (http://www.openxource.com) which provides consultancy on the
strategy of open-sourcing your product, and obviously follow-up help
on implementing said strategies. I can't comment on their services
from first-hand experience, but Bob's got a good reputation in the
world of open-source Java.

Hen