Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Sina K. Heshmati" <si...@khakbaz.com> on 2007/07/16 16:33:49 UTC

Re: [RT] Plugin filesystem layout

On Thu, June 21, 2007 7:02 pm, Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org> said:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> On 21/06/07, Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> What do you think about organizing plugins in the filesystem by type?
>>>
>>> plugins/input
>>> plugins/output
>>> plugins/internal
>>>
>>> The core and whiteboard plugin directories are not overcrowded yet, but
>>> they feel a little unorganized. Advantages, disadvantages, other
>>> thoughts?
>>
>> Do you mean the source directories or the deployment directories.
>>
>> Assuming you mean the src directories I have no problem with things as
>> they are since command line completion solves all my problems and
>> having to go one directory lower is more of a pain to me.
>>
>> That being said, I am only -0 on the idea.
>
> I do mean the source directories. Command line completion is what
> prompted this random thought. I would prefer to go one level deeper and
> have fewer possible completions, but it's purely preference. It will
> take many more plugins to cause an organizational issue, if at all.

The current directory structure works quite well for me. I use SSH to connect to a
Gentoo server. As soon as I log on, the following command takes me to whiteboard
plugins directory --quite fast with command-line completion.

  $ cd ws/repo/forrest/whiteboard/plugins

Then, this command takes me to the plugin dir I want (e.g. SKOS plugin):

  $ cd *skos

As I've noticed though, the pattern to access the 'tei output' plugin dir (*ou*tei)
is somewhat less interesting as there's also a 'tei input' plugin dir in whiteboard,
but still.

In addition, hacking the default $PS1 helps a lot to have a better command-line
experience while working with long directory names.

SinDoc