Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net> on 2006/06/19 23:51:47 UTC

newbie Q regarding schema configuration

hi.

so I finally managed to find a bit of time to get a SolR instance
going, and now have some questions about it ;-)

first the application is tagging. ie.. to associate some keywords
with a given item, and to show them on a particular object (you can
see this in action here http://economy-chat.com/aggy/detail/andrew-
leigh/ )

It user-based (ie individuals can tag a particular object themselves,
and that get's merged into a global summary for that object)
and it is also hierarchal, ie tagging a child implies you have also
tagged the parent.

so.. my first question in schema.xml, can you have a composite key as
the 'uniquekey' field, or do i need to do this on the client side?

2nd question.

can you have complex types which are multivalued?
I'd like to store something like
a tag-name with a corresponding tag-weighting.

can you do sum(*) type queries in lucene/solr? it is efficient ? or
are you better having a 2nd index which has these sum(*) values in it
and keep it up to date instead.

Thanks

Re: newbie Q regarding schema configuration

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
> can you have complex types which are multivalued?
> I'd like to store something like
> a tag-name with a corresponding tag-weighting.

How much work it is might depend on how static or dynamic the tag-weighting is.
If it's very static, you could simply use index-time boosts.

> can you do sum(*) type queries in lucene/solr? it is efficient ?

If all tag weights were the same, you would get summing for "free" via
lucene scoring I think...

It all depends on the exact details of what you are trying to do, how
many tags, how are the weights calculated, are the sums across all
tags or dynamically determined by some query, etc...

-Yonik

Re: newbie Q regarding schema configuration

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
thanks for the input Chris (and Yonik)

i'm not sure lucene is the best answer for what I want to do ;(

regards
Ian