Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID> on 2022/10/04 14:20:52 UTC

[Discussion] Questions about the pulsar-site management

TL; DR, we should add the Markdown documents about the pulsar-site repo
in GitHub. DON'T USE GOOGLEDOCS EVERYWHERE!

----

Currently Pulsar's website is maintained in
https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site. However, I cannot find any
document of this document repo.

As a contributor, if I want to contribute to this repo, I will look at
the README first:

https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site/blob/main/README.md

However, I can barely find what I concerns about in it:
- Where should I add the content
- What should I do before opening a PR (e.g. building a preview)
- How can I build a preview in my local env
- How will the web page be updated due to the changes of this repo

If I were a frontend engineer, I might also want to know how to
develop the website for it.

What I can find is:

[Preview Website
Changes](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wszdtMRo6MhKbVaggPK7_bnKaC4TewuT--GWZZxJNGg/edit#heading=h.wu6ygjne8e35)

from
https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site/tree/main/site2/website-next.

Yeah, I believe nobody will click into this directory if he cannot
find anything from the README.md in the root directory.

BTW, the details are in the external GoogleDocs link in https://github.com/apache/pulsar#documentation-1

There is a terrible case recently:

How to add the release note also changed after
https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site/pull/227, we need to update them
in JavaScript files. However, in
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/blob/master/wiki/release/release-process.md#write-release-notes,
there is no update in [Pulsar Release Notes
Guide](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cwNkBefKyV6OPbEXnUrcCdVZi0i2BezqL6vAL7VqVC0/edit#).

If the release manager wants to know how to contribute the release
notes, he might tend to find a previous PR like
https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site/pull/209. Unfortunately, it's
outdated. We have to update the `.js` files now, e.g.
https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site/pull/242

IMO, we should add a guidance into the pulsar-site repo. In addition,
the documents should be maintained in GitHub as much as possible. It's
better not just pasting an external GoogleDocs link. We can use
GoogleDocs for the temporary changes, but we should present a stable
Markdown document in GitHub.

Thanks,
Yunze

Re: [Discussion] Questions about the pulsar-site management

Posted by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
Hi Yu,

Thank you for the explanation!

Yunze