Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/16 10:21:15 UTC

Re: svn commit: r289353 - in /maven/components/trunk/maven-plugins: maven-eclipse-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/eclipse/ maven-project-info-reports-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/report/projectinfo/ maven-war-plugin/src/main/jav

On 9/16/05, kenney@apache.org <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: kenney
> o EclipsePlugin now does NOT download sources by default.
>   Specify -Declipse.downloadSources=true to do so.

kenney, do you really think that we need to turn this off by default?
I think this is a feature that most m2/eclipse users would like to use
and I would like to have enabled by default, without forcing users to
look at the documentation to understand that this have been finally
implemented in m2 and that they need to configure the
"eclipse.downloadSources" property if they want to use it.

Downloading of source archives is a thing I always missed in m1: just
now it probably seems a little useless, unless you have a private
repository where you manually added source jars for the dependencies
you are using (like I did), but I hope that we could start uploading
sources to public repositories too, now that maven handles that (the
source plugin can generate such artifacts and the deploy plugin
handles them).

For example, I would like to see sources for plexus, doxia, and maven
related libs available in the central repo, so that javadocs and debug
support are available in eclipse without having to checkout the
project from cvs and manually changing the eclipse mapping (or
deploying the source archive to my local repo).

What about leaving the "eclipse.downloadSources" property but with a
default to ON? If users know that sources are not available they can
set it to off or they can simply run maven -o if they want to
configure a project that have been already built using maven and for
which  all the dependencies are available in in the local maven repo.

Did anybody discuss about the distribution of source archives in the
m2 ibiblio repo? What about star trying that for a few projects now?

fabrizio

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Fabrizio Giustina wrote:

>Did anybody discuss about the distribution of source archives in the
>m2 ibiblio repo? What about star trying that for a few projects now?

We're doing this by default, though a glitch in the release plugin means
only some of the recent releases had source archives. Will get it
resolved by m2 final.

Examples:
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-idea-plugin/2.0-beta-1/maven-idea-plugin-2.0-beta-1-sources.jar

Cheers,