Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Alban Hertroys <al...@apollovredestein.com> on 2019/12/10 11:02:19 UTC

JDBCAppender fails to pass connection URL string

Hi,

We're having a lot of trouble getting the JDBCAppender to write to our
PostgreSQL database. There's probably a configuration error somewhere, but
we haven't been able to find it. And I have been searching and trying for
several days now, with no progress at all.
Even though we specify a connection URL in the JDNI source (see below), it
always ends with the JDBCAppender complaining that:
        java.sql.SQLException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for
connect URL 'null'

The Appender should write the data to our database at server "foobar",
database "logging-tst". Using the same credentials in SquirrelSQL, with
the same JDBC driver, I can connect to that database and query the table
specified in the log4j.xml (schema: "logging", table: "usage"; names being
case-insensitive).

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Environment:
- Centos 7
- Apache Tomcat 8.5.32
- log4j-2.11

We created a servlet HTTP filter into a JAR, compiled against:
WEB-INF/lib:
        log4j-api-2.11.0.jar  log4j-core-2.11.0.jar
        servlet-api.jar

This servlet put()'s certain fields into the ThreadContext, which we then
attempt to access through %X{...} in the log4j2.xml, appending those
fields as a
row to an existing table in our database.
We had this set-up working previously with log4j-1.something in an MS SQL
'05
DB, all on Windows 2003 server (which we are migrating away from due to
performance issues).

Files within the web application:
WEB-INF/lib/
        log4j-1.2-api-2.11.0.jar  log4j-api-2.11.0.jar
log4j-core-2.11.0.jar  log4j-jcl-2.11.0.jar  log4j-jul-2.11.0.jar
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.11.0.jar  log4j-web-2.11.0.jar
        postgresql-jdbc.jar

META-INF/context.xml:
---------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<context>
    <resource
        name="jdbc/loggingtst"
        auth="Container"
        type="javax.sql.DataSource"
        username="*****"
        password="*****"
        driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
        url="jdbc:postgresql://foobar:5432/logging-tst"
        maxTotal="20"
        maxIdle="10"
    />
</context>

WEB-INF/classes/log4j2.xml:
---------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Configuration status="WARN">
    <Appenders>
        <JDBC name="DBAppender" tableName="logging.usage">
            <DataSource jndiName="java:/comp/env/jdbc/loggingtst"/>
            <Column name="servername"   pattern="%X{servername}"/>
            <Column name="fex"          pattern="%X{focexec}"/>
            <Column name="parameters"   pattern="%X{parameters}"/>
            <Column name="username"     pattern="%X{username}"/>
            <Column name="duration"     pattern="%X{duration}"/>
            <Column name="user_agent"   pattern="%X{user-agent}"/>
        </JDBC>
    </Appenders>
    <Loggers>
        <Logger name="LogFilter" level="info" additivity="false">
            <AppenderRef ref="DBAppender"/>
        </Logger>

        <Root level="error">
            <AppenderRef ref="sysout" />
        </Root>
    </Loggers>

</Configuration>

WEB-INF/web.xml:
----------------
  <resource-ref>
    <description>PostgreSQL logging table</description>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/loggingtst</res-ref-name>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

With this, catalina.out contains:

2019-12-09 17:38:16,460 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR JdbcDatabaseManager
JdbcManager{name=FexAppender, bufferSize=0, tableName=logging.usage,
columnConfigs=[{ name=servername, layout=%X{servername}, literal=null,
timestamp=false }, { name=fex, layout=%X{focexec}, literal=null,
timestamp=false }, { name=parameters, layout=%X{parameters}, literal=null,
timestamp=false }, { name=username, layout=%X{username}, literal=null,
timestamp=false }, { name=duration, layout=%X{duration}, literal=null,
timestamp=false }, { name=user_agent, layout=%X{user-agent}, literal=null,
timestamp=false }], columnMappings=[]} Could not perform database startup
operations: java.sql.SQLException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class ''
for connect URL 'null' java.sql.SQLException: Cannot create JDBC driver of
class '' for connect URL 'null'
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.createConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:2186)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:2066)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:1525)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.db.jdbc.DataSourceConnectionSource.getConnection(DataSourceConnectionSource.java:51)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.db.jdbc.JdbcDatabaseManager.startupInternal(JdbcDatabaseManager.java:85)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.db.AbstractDatabaseManager.startup(AbstractDatabaseManager.java:81)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.db.AbstractDatabaseAppender.start(AbstractDatabaseAppender.java:106)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AbstractConfiguration.start(AbstractConfiguration.java:265)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.setConfiguration(LoggerContext.java:547)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.start(LoggerContext.java:263)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.impl.Log4jContextFactory.getContext(Log4jContextFactory.java:240)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configurator.initialize(Configurator.java:158)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.web.Log4jWebInitializerImpl.initializeNonJndi(Log4jWebInitializerImpl.java:168)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.web.Log4jWebInitializerImpl.start(Log4jWebInitializerImpl.java:110)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.web.Log4jServletContainerInitializer.onStartup(Log4jServletContainerInitializer.java:57)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5245)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:754)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:730)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:734)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:629)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1839)
        at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
        at org.postgresql.Driver.parseURL(Driver.java:551)
        at org.postgresql.Driver.acceptsURL(Driver.java:472)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:299)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.createConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:2171)
        ... 26 more

(Ignore below company statement)

Alban  Hertroys
D: +31 (0)53 4 888 888  | T: +31 (0)53 4888 888 | E: alban.hertroys@apollovredestein.com
Apollo Vredestein B.V.| Ir. E.L.C. Schiffstraat 370, 7547 RD Enschede, The
Netherlands
Chamber of Commerce number: 34223268

The information contained in this e-mail is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or action in relation to the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful and request you to delete this message and any
attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail. The confidentiality of this
message is not warranted. Apollo Vredestein and its subsidiaries rule out any
and every liability resulting from this or any other electronic transmission

Betr: Re: JDBCAppender fails to pass connection URL string

Posted by Alban Hertroys <al...@apollovredestein.com>.
"Gary Gregory" <ga...@gmail.com> wrote on 2019-12-12 21:54:27:

> The more:
>
> https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/tree/release-2.x/log4j-
> core/src/test/resources/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/appender/db/jdbc
>
> Gary

Thanks for the examples, much appreciated. It confirmed that I was
probably doing things correctly on the log4j front, at least.

As it turns out, the problem was with Tomcat's documentation about how to
set up a JNDI connection. They refer to a META-INF/context.xml file in the
web-app directory, but in our case the context files are located in the
${CATALINA_OUT}/conf/Catalina/localhost directory and point to the
locations where the web-app files can be found. Placing the <Resource
.../> there got us rid of the error about the empty jdbc URL and driver
name, at least.

I'm almost there. I can select from the database with a slightly expanded
variation on my previous Java class, so we are able to connect at least -
now to figure out why the actual webapp is not logging anything...

Should be easy enough to add a log4j JDBCAppender for my test-webapp.

<ra...@dslextreme.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I just looked at the JDBC unit tests and surprisingly didn’t see any
that
> >> use a configuration file.
> >>

> > Here is a 'fancy' example (the kind of stuff I use at work):
> >

> > https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/release-2.x/log4j-
> jdbc-dbcp2/src/test/resources/log4j2-jdbc-dbcp2.xml
> >
> > Here are some more:
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Gary

This is what now remains of the configuration.

${CATALINA_OUT}/conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp_context.xml

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
The more:

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Betr: Re: JDBCAppender fails to pass connection URL string

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
No, it doesn’t necessarily mean that.  Some of the unit tests configure things programmatically by directly calling the plugins.

If you look at the documentation you will see <DriverManager> and <PoolingDriver> as connection sources you can configure. You should try that. I don’t know why examples weren’t added to the doc of how to use them but they should be straightforward.

Ralph

Betr: Betr: Re: JDBCAppender fails to pass connection URL string

Posted by Alban Hertroys <al...@apollovredestein.com>.
Rats, the attachment got stripped. Here's the code:

/* vim: ts=4 sw=4 cindent
 */
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.PrintWriter;

import javax.naming.Context;
import javax.naming.InitialContext;
import javax.naming.NamingEnumeration;
import javax.naming.NameClassPair;
import javax.naming.NamingException;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.annotation.WebServlet;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;

@WebServlet("/DataSourceExample")
public class DataSourceExample extends HttpServlet
{

        protected void doGet(
                        HttpServletRequest      request
                ,       HttpServletResponse     response
        )
        throws ServletException, IOException
        {
                Context ctx = null;

                try {
                        PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
                        response.setContentType("text/plain");

                        ctx = new InitialContext();

                        try {
                                printCtx(ctx, out);
                        }
                        catch (NamingException e) {
                                out.println(e);
                        }
                }
                catch (NamingException e)       { e.printStackTrace(); }
                finally {
                        try {
                                ctx.close();
                        }
                        catch (NamingException e) {
System.out.println("Exception in closing context."); }
                }
        }

        private void printCtx(Context ctx, PrintWriter out)
        throws NamingException
        {
                NamingEnumeration<NameClassPair> list = ctx.list("");
                int rows = 0;

                for (;list.hasMore(); rows++) {
                        NameClassPair pair = list.next();
                        out.print(pair.getName() + " : ");
                        try {
                                out.print(ctx.lookup(pair.getName()));
                        }
                        catch (Exception e) {}
                        out.println("");
                }

                out.println("Context contains " + rows + " items.");
        }
}

"Alban Hertroys" <al...@apollovredestein.com> wrote on 2019-12-12
17:20:26:

Posted by Alban Hertroys <al...@apollovredestein.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#JDBCAppender <http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#JDBCAppender> does have sample configurations but there is not one with the configuration I would expect to use where you can specify the driver class, user name and password.

Ralph

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Re: JDBCAppender fails to pass connection URL string

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alban Hertroys <al...@apollovredestein.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.