Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2009/07/13 19:33:57 UTC

Maximum number of Mentors??

> +1 (binding) on the singular change of dropping Mladen Turk and Nick Kew
> as Mentors since that makes it 5 mentors, which is problematic (3 seems
> to be the max).

Where does that idea come from?  Mentors are Incubator PMC members.  If more
than three (3) want to engage on a project that interests them, why limit
it?  Any issues that might arise from having more than three (3) would arise
in the world outside of the Incubator, too.

	--- Noel

Re: Maximum number of Mentors??

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/7/16 Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>:

>>> Where does that idea come from?  Mentors are Incubator PMC members.  If
>>> more
>>> than three (3) want to engage on a project that interests them, why limit
>>> it?  Any issues that might arise from having more than three (3) would
>>> arise
>>> in the world outside of the Incubator, too.
>>
>> I think it comes from Jim's head ;-) possibly via an observation that
>> some podlings have a lot of signed up Mentors but few who takes charge
>> and get the things moving, especially the first couple of months. I
>> disagree that it is related to 'how many' (more=worse) and is really
>> an issue of "quality by quantity", in that "quantity" increases the
>> chances that there are some "quality" in the group. Sometimes I feel
>> it was easier in the days of a single Mentor, since the
>> blame^h^h^h^h^h responsibility is obvious, but being the single Mentor
>> is 'too much work' for me to go back to such arrangement.
>>

> +1

This is an interesting point.

With the Wookie proposal (currently voting), we have 6 mentors (it
would have been 7 but I removed my self from the mentor list and stuck
with Champion).

Perhaps the Champion should be responsible for ensuring that someone
actually takes ownership of the mentoring activities. Or perhaps the
proposal should identify a "lead" mentor whose responsibility is to
ensure nothing slips through the cracks.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Re: Maximum number of Mentors??

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
2009/7/14 Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>:
>> +1 (binding) on the singular change of dropping Mladen Turk and Nick Kew
>> as Mentors since that makes it 5 mentors, which is problematic (3 seems
>> to be the max).
>
> Where does that idea come from?  Mentors are Incubator PMC members.  If more
> than three (3) want to engage on a project that interests them, why limit
> it?  Any issues that might arise from having more than three (3) would arise
> in the world outside of the Incubator, too.

I think it comes from Jim's head ;-) possibly via an observation that
some podlings have a lot of signed up Mentors but few who takes charge
and get the things moving, especially the first couple of months. I
disagree that it is related to 'how many' (more=worse) and is really
an issue of "quality by quantity", in that "quantity" increases the
chances that there are some "quality" in the group. Sometimes I feel
it was easier in the days of a single Mentor, since the
blame^h^h^h^h^h responsibility is obvious, but being the single Mentor
is 'too much work' for me to go back to such arrangement.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Maximum number of Mentors??

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/7/13 Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>:
> 2009/7/13 Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>:
>>> +1 (binding) on the singular change of dropping Mladen Turk and Nick Kew
>>> as Mentors since that makes it 5 mentors, which is problematic (3 seems
>>> to be the max).
>>
>> Where does that idea come from?  Mentors are Incubator PMC members.  If more
>> than three (3) want to engage on a project that interests them, why limit
>> it?  Any issues that might arise from having more than three (3) would arise
>> in the world outside of the Incubator, too.
>
> +1.
>
> AFAIR, 3 is the minimum, with less than 3 acceptable in rare cases,
> but more community is good.

+1

In fact the incubator proposal template says:

"The number of Mentors for a Podling is limited only by the energy and
interest of those eligible to Mentor. Three Mentors gives a quorum and
allows a Podling more autonomy. The current consensus is that three or
more Mentors makes the incubation process run more smoothly. "

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-mentors

Ross

Re: Maximum number of Mentors??

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
2009/7/13 Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>:
>> +1 (binding) on the singular change of dropping Mladen Turk and Nick Kew
>> as Mentors since that makes it 5 mentors, which is problematic (3 seems
>> to be the max).
>
> Where does that idea come from?  Mentors are Incubator PMC members.  If more
> than three (3) want to engage on a project that interests them, why limit
> it?  Any issues that might arise from having more than three (3) would arise
> in the world outside of the Incubator, too.

+1.

AFAIR, 3 is the minimum, with less than 3 acceptable in rare cases,
but more community is good.

  Bernd