Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Qingjuan Gu <qi...@wistar.upenn.edu> on 2002/06/06 17:01:04 UTC

html file extension html vs html~

Hello,

In my previous, I gave the wrong URL, it should be athena.wistar.upenn.edu:88/post.html

I have instlled the apache1.3.24 on tru64. when I access html file with IE, I have to access html file with extension html~. e.g., If i access reviewer.html, the broswer will pop up a file download dialog box, when I access reviewer.html~, it will show up a page, and works fine.

I do not know where I can configure it?

Re: html file extension html vs html~

Posted by Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>.
When I go to http://athena.wistar.upenn.edu:88/reviewer.html, I get
prompted to download.  The MIME type being sent is application as
opposed to text/html.  When I go to
http://athena.wistar.upenn.edu:88/reviewer.html~ I get the source, not
a rendered page.

I downloaded and saved the reveiwer.html to compare with reviewer.html~.
They are not the same file.

Looks like the default handling for text/html has been changed by
a configuration change in your httpd.conf file.  Has DefaultType in
your httpd.conf been changed or commented out?  Mine in a default
installation is 'DefaultType text/plain'.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Qingjuan Gu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In my previous, I gave the wrong URL, it should be
> athena.wistar.upenn.edu:88/post.html

GET /post.html HTTP/1.1
Host: athena.wistar.upenn.edu

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:25:32 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) PHP/4.0.6
Last-Modified: Fri, 10 May 2002 17:35:24 GMT
ETag: "ec-68c-3cdc04dc"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Notice the Content-Type?  It is obviously wrong.  See the AddType
directive and the mime.types file to correct the content type for html
files.

Joshua.