Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Bi...@sungard.com on 2008/06/27 06:01:09 UTC

Can you create a Field that is a copy of another Field?

Hello Lucene Gurus,

I'm new to Lucene so sorry if this question basic or naïve.

I have a Document to which I want to add a Field named, say, "foo" that is tokenized, indexed and unstored.  I am using the "Field(String name, TokenStream tokenStream)" constructor to create it.  The TokenStream may take a fairly long time to return all its tokens.

Now for querying reasons I want to add another Field named, say, "bar", that is tokenized and indexed in exactly the same way as "foo".  I could just pass it the same TokenStream that I used to create "foo" but since it takes so long to return all its tokens, I was wondering if there is a way to say, create "bar" as a copy of "foo".  I looked thru the javadoc but didn't see anything.

Is this possible in Lucene or do I just have to bite the bullet build the new Field using the same TokenStream again?

--
Bill Chesky * Sr. Software Developer * SunGard * FAME Energy * 1194 Oak Valley Drive * Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Tel 734-332-4405 * Fax 734-332-4440 * bill.chesky@sungard.com <ma...@sungard.com>

RE: Can you create a Field that is a copy of another Field?

Posted by Bi...@sungard.com.
Erick,

Thanks for the response.  I'm very sure the TokenStream is expensive.  Not always but in some case, yes, it can take a long time to complete.  However, I do like your approach.  I'm going to try a different approach suggested by another poster first, but this is very interesting.

Thank you!
--
 www.sungard.com/energy

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>            StreetName=South Main
>                StreetNumber=1234
>                    Name=Joe Smith
>
> Use your imagination to visualize what the tree might look like with
> millions of peoples' addresses.  Now imagine trying to tokenize the Document
> corresponding to "State=California".  Each path thru the tree from root
> (State) to leaf (Name) represents a set of Properties that is used to index
> the "keywords" field in the "State=California" document.  In other words it
> takes a long time to index.  This is why I'm looking for a way to just copy
> one field to another.
>
> There is a lot more to our design to facilitate this hierarchical structure
> but this is probably more than you wanted to know. :)
>
> thanks in advance,
> --
> Bill Chesky * Sr. Software Developer * SunGard * FAME Energy * 1194 Oak

Actually, you've been a big help.  Your 'data_type' field suggestion I think will work for our app and obviates the need for the Field copy functionality that I was originally asking about.  Just having one problem with it still, but I think it has to do with my limited knowledge of how analyzers work.  If I can't figure it out, I'll post a question in a different thread.

Thanks!
--
Bill

Posted by Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>.
Hrm, sorry then I'm not sure how much more help I'm going to be able to
be on this on.  I have to index things that have a DAG Structure
(Treelike), but in order to get that functionality into my search I
simply flatten out my dag, so any single term knows all of its children,
but loses the structure of those children beyond that.  This approach
works for my data, but it doesn't sound like it will for yours.

So, while I think you can still use the general technique that I showed
you on this on, I have a feeling you are going to need to customize it
some for your domain.

Best of luck, and if there's anything else I can help with let me know.

Matt

Bill.Chesky@sungard.com wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> It has to do with the fact that we're trying to represent these Property entitities hierarchically.  We are displaying them in a tree structure, similar to the way Windows Explorer displays directories and files your file system.  E.g. all the states would be at the root level.  If you expanded a particular state you would see all the cities in that state, etc.
>
> If the user does a search we want to filter or "reduce" the tree.  E.g. imagine you search on the term 'Smith'.  Well since it's a safe bet to assume that there's somebody with the last name of Smith in all fifty states, then all fifty states would show up at the root level.  On the other hand, suppose there's one guy in the whole country named with the last name of 'Fleebleflabble' and he lives in Michigan.  If I search on that term I would expect only one state, namely Michigan to show up at the root level.  Each level in the heirarchy is filtered by the search specified terms in this way.
>
> Searches are not limited to people's names though.  We want to reduce the tree by matches on ANY field in the Properties from 'State' to 'Name'.  So for example, a seach on 'Smith' would return matches for everybody that lived in a city named 'Smith City' or on a street named 'Smith Avenue', etc.
>
> This doesn't make a lot of sense for people and addresses, I admit.  I just used that as an easy follow example.  But it does make sense for the data we're storing.  And BTW, maybe you can see a few holes in this approach.  There's a bit more to it than I've described above.  We have had to get a little creative with other documents and fields in order for it work correctly.  I'd be happy to elaborate if anybody is interested.  There may be better ways to do it.  Like I said I'm fairly new to Lucene.  Was just trying to keep it simple.
>
> --
> Bill

>>> City=Sacremento
>>> ZipCode=94203
>>> StreetName=South Main
>>> StreetNumber=1234

Posted by Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>.
Sorry, didn't get this until this morning.

Yes, both fields should be indexed and searchable, though the data_type
one should likely be untokenized.

Data should be indexed and tokenized with whatever appropriate Analyzer
works for your data.

As for what your indexing, may I ask why you are doing it like that?

I would have thought indexing each property seperately (a seperate doc)
would have been sufficient for your needs, but if you can explain a bit
more about your situation perhaps I can be more helpful on this matter?

Matt

Bill.Chesky@sungard.com wrote:
> Hmmm, I think maybe I am missing something.  In your design is the 'data' field indexed, i.e. searchable?  Or is it an unindexed, stored field?
>
> I was thinking that both 'data' and 'data_type' were indexed and searchable.
>
> Maybe the confusion stems from the fact that for the Document corresponding to "State=California", we're not just indexing on the token 'California'.  We're indexing on all the tokens from all the Properties in the set of Properties corresponding to a person's address.  In my original example this would be: California, Sacremento, 94203, South, Main, 1234, Joe and Smith.
>
> For the 'data_type' field I was thinking you were saying we'd index on a single token, namely 'State' (or whatever the left-hand side is).
>
> Does that make sense?
> --
> Bill Chesky * Sr. Software Developer * SunGard * FAME Energy * 1194 Oak Valley Drive * Ann Arbor, MI 48103
> Tel 734-332-4405 * Fax 734-332-4440 * bill.chesky@sungard.com
>  www.sungard.com/energy

>>> City=Sacremento
>>> ZipCode=94203
>>> StreetName=South Main
>>> StreetNumber=1234

Posted by Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>.
Yup, you're pretty much there.

The only part I'm a bit confused about is what you've said in your data
field there,

I'm thinking you mean that for the data_type: "State", you would have
the data entry of "California", right?

If so, then yup, you are spot on ^^

We use this technique all the time on our side, and its helped
considerably.  We then use the db_key to reference into a display time
cache that holds all of the display information for the underlying
object that we would ever want to present to the user.  This allows our
search time index to be very concise, and as a result nearly every
search we hit it with is subsecond, which is a nice place to be ^^

Matt

Bill.Chesky@sungard.com wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  This looks very interesting.  If I'm understanding correctly your db_key, data and data_type are Fields within the Document, correct?  So is this how you envision it?
>
> Document: State=California
>    Field: 'db_key'='1395' (primary key into relational table, correct?)
>    Field: 'data' indexed by 'California', 'Sacremento', '94203', etc.
>    Field: 'data_type' indexed by 'State'
>
> Document: City=Sacremento
>    Field: 'db_key'='2405'
>    Field: 'data' indexed by 'California', 'Sacremento', '94203', etc.
>    Field: 'data_type' indexed by 'City'
>
> Then my query for all Properties would be:
>
> 	+data:South
>
> My query for only 'City' Properties would be:
>
> 	+data:South +data_type:City
>
> Is that right?
>
> I think that would work.  Very nice.  Thank you very much!!!!
> --
> Bill Chesky * Sr. Software Developer * SunGard * FAME Energy * 1194 Oak Valley Drive * Ann Arbor, MI 48103
> Tel 734-332-4405 * Fax 734-332-4440 * bill.chesky@sungard.com
>  www.sungard.com/energy

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer
Mouse Genome Informatics
mhall@informatics.jax.org
(207) 288-6012

Re: Can you create a Field that is a copy of another Field?

Posted by Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>.
> [...]

>                 StreetNumber=1234
>                     Name=Joe Smith
>
> Use your imagination to visualize what the tree might look like with millions of peoples' addresses.  Now imagine trying to tokenize the Document corresponding to "State=California".  Each path thru the tree from root (State) to leaf (Name) represents a set of Properties that is used to index the "keywords" field in the "State=California" document.  In other words it takes a long time to index.  This is why I'm looking for a way to just copy one field to another.
>
> There is a lot more to our design to facilitate this hierarchical structure but this is probably more than you wanted to know. :)
>
> thanks in advance,
> --
> Bill Chesky * Sr. Software Developer * SunGard * FAME Energy * 1194 Oak Valley Drive * Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer
Mouse Genome Informatics
mhall@informatics.jax.org