Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2010/03/09 01:03:46 UTC

Any objection if we up RPC version when we go from 0.20.3 to 0.20.4?

Are there objections to changing the RPC version number when we
release 0.20.4?  Changing the RPC version number will mean that a
0.20.4 and 0.20.3 version hbase cluster will not be able to talk to
each other.  Updating your cluster from 0.20.3 to 0.20.4 will require
a restart.

Currently our RPC is brittle in that we can't add or amend methods
without breaking the interface.  We'd like to make the interface
tolerant of small changes.   To do this, we need to change how RPC
identifies remote methods.  See HBASE-2219 for details.  The change in
method identification requires that we up the RPC version so
mismatched clients fail fast.

If above is amenable, we'll also pull into 0.20.4 other facility such
as the new multiput and fixes that make us less vulnerable to flapping
dns, etc.

Yours,
St.Ack

Re: Any objection if we up RPC version when we go from 0.20.3 to 0.20.4?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I'm +1 too.

Will make sure that on release of 0.20.4, we're clear about the cold
reboot required (as per Kay Kay suggestion).

St.Ack

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
We discussed jumping to 0.20.5 (either have 0.20.4 as a bug fix
release only or skipping it entirely) instead of continuing with
0.20.4 that breaks compatibility. 0.21 means it works on Hadoop 0.21,
we binded ourselves to that, so it's not really an option.

I'm +1 on a 0.20.4 that breaks backward compatibility if we advertise
it as such, like using a size 72 warning in bright blinking characters
(not really). Also it wouldn't be the first time we aren't able to
keep it compatible and until 1.0 I don't really mind it that much.

J-D

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I think naming it hbase 0.21.x will confuse more since it implies
hadoop 0.21.x (up to this we've aligned our versions).

Its my sense that few rely on being able to upgrade using the rolling
restart feature  -- i.e. updating a daemon at a time letting the
cluster run across the upgrade -- and that only these few need to be
warned that rolling restart is not possible going 0.20.3 to 0.20.4.

St.Ack

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>.
+1