Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by "Beaudet, David" <D-...@NGA.GOV> on 2017/04/12 14:34:10 UTC

possible to graft a remote non-JCR source to a path?

Greetings,

We are researching the best way to expose digital assets that are managed in a non-JCR based enterprise DAM system via Adobe's native DAM UI and are wondering if it's possible to, for example, bind a path like /content/dam/edam/... to a remote data source.  Adobe had released an alpha or beta version of a package for JackRabbit that enabled a remote RDBMS source dataset to be grafted into the JCR tree at a configured path. Content was mapped from the database and exposed via the JCR APIs.  Is it still possible to implement such a feature with Oak and if so, can someone point me to the interfaces that would have to be implemented or a how-to guide if one exists?

Thanks,

Dave Beaudet
National Gallery of Art

Re: possible to graft a remote non-JCR source to a path?

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 15:31 +0000, Beaudet, David wrote:
> Thanks Roy, yes that's the other suggestion Adobe had identified and
> we're looking at it as well.��In your opinion is integration of DAM
> Assets at the JCR level with Oak just a bad idea even if it is
> possible?

With the disclaimer that this is sliding out of oak-dev into AEM-
specific stuff and should be moved to an Adobe-specific discussion
channel ...

Make sure to validate that the DAM UI works at the Sling resource level
and not at the JCR level. If I plug in a remote ResourceProvider and
the AEM DAM works at the JCR level, it won't be able to see the data
you grafted.

Robert

Posted by Kaiser Shahid <ka...@gmail.com>.
hi david, long-time AEM developer here. i wouldn't recommend grafting at
oak level even if it was possible. the resource API of sling is loose
and amenable to all sorts of datatypes. and since your main point of
interaction is through sling/AEM, that would be the easiest to build out
and maintain.

-k

Posted by Roy Teeuwen <ro...@teeuwen.be>.
Hey David,

 - https://github.com/apache/sling/tree/trunk/contrib/nosql/couchbase-resourceprovider <https://github.com/apache/sling/tree/trunk/contrib/nosql/couchbase-resourceprovider>
 - https://github.com/apache/sling/tree/trunk/contrib/nosql/mongodb-resourceprovider <https://github.com/apache/sling/tree/trunk/contrib/nosql/mongodb-resourceprovider>
 - https://github.com/Adobe-Consulting-Services/acs-aem-samples/blob/master/bundle/src/main/java/com/adobe/acs/samples/resourceproviders/impl/SampleResourceProvider.java <https://github.com/Adobe-Consulting-Services/acs-aem-samples/blob/master/bundle/src/main/java/com/adobe/acs/samples/resourceproviders/impl/SampleResourceProvider.java>