Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Johan Sunnerstig <Jo...@netgiro.com> on 2002/01/31 11:17:38 UTC

.htacess files on Win32 apache?

Hi.

I've just setup a Windows 2000 Server with Apache 1.3.23.
It's working fine, except I can't get the .htaccess files to work.
I've never used Apache on Win32 before, I have setup a bunch of *NIX servers
though, and never had any problems with the .htaccess feature.

I've put a htaccess file in the DocumentRoot, and it's pointing to a users
file made with the Win32 htpasswd utility.
But Apache seems to skip this file alltogether, and there shouldn't be any
problems with the contents of the htaccess file, since I've cut and pasted
them directly into the <Directory> tag, and that works just fine.

I've tried changing the AccessFileName to a couple of different things, just
in case NT had any problems handling files that start with a dot, but no
luck, no matter what I call it, it just wont read the file.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Regards
Johan

Re: .htacess files on Win32 apache?

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Johan Sunnerstig wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've just setup a Windows 2000 Server with Apache 1.3.23.
> It's working fine, except I can't get the .htaccess files to work.
> I've never used Apache on Win32 before, I have setup a bunch of *NIX servers
> though, and never had any problems with the .htaccess feature.
>
> I've put a htaccess file in the DocumentRoot, and it's pointing to a users
> file made with the Win32 htpasswd utility.
> But Apache seems to skip this file alltogether, and there shouldn't be any
> problems with the contents of the htaccess file, since I've cut and pasted
> them directly into the <Directory> tag, and that works just fine.

Did you allow apache to read the .htaccess? You do this with the
"AllowOverride" directive - check docs for details.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.