Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/06/18 06:04:04 UTC

Re: Offering binaries for other hardware (fwd)

My first reaction is no. Do we have some liability for damages
caused by binary distributions? Does our LICENSE protect us
sufficiently from this?

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 11:04 PM 6/17/97 -0500, Randy Terbush wrote:
>My first reaction is no. Do we have some liability for damages
>caused by binary distributions? Does our LICENSE protect us
>sufficiently from this?

 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE APACHE GROUP ``AS IS'' AND ANY
 * EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
 * PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE APACHE GROUP OR
 * ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
 * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
 * NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
 * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
 * STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
 * ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
 * OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

I'd say it does. Should we add a bit about not using it to run nuclear
devices?  :)  www.pentagon.mil apparently thinks it's secure enough.

I have little concern putting it under /dist/binaries so long as the
compiler's name & email address is handy.

	Brian
brian@organic.com          http://www.apache.org          brian@hyperreal.com