Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2001/04/20 15:34:09 UTC

fdatasync in mod_jk

I'm strongly to remove the fdatasync in mod_jk since :

- it slow down too much Apache when running in DEBUG/TRACE mode
- not very portable (not PORTABLE/FREEBSD/WIN32)

-
Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)

Re: fdatasync in mod_jk

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> I'm strongly to remove the fdatasync in mod_jk since :
>
> - it slow down too much Apache when running in DEBUG/TRACE mode
> - not very portable (not PORTABLE/FREEBSD/WIN32)

And probably others platforms because it needs _POSIX_SYNCHRONIZED_IO

I do not think that mod_jk may crash a box... fflush() is enough to write a
logfile!

Cheers

Jean-frederic

Re: fdatasync in mod_jk

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
If my vote counts +1 since we saw how dramatic performance goes down.

As far as I can see from the Solaris documentation (and the system
behaviour)  fdatasync really writes to the physical disk. It would be
enough to flush file buffers to the file system (which will be cached in
modern operating systems and the data will be visible to other processes
looking at the file although it is not already physically on the disk). I
think the file system is the right layer to use and the fflush call is
already in the code right before the fdatasync.

Rainer Jung