Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/09/30 15:57:30 UTC

virtual domain and braking of the webserver... (fwd)

not acked

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
> if webserver finds a domain in the httpd.conf which is not set in our
> dns properly that in should ignore that domain, and it should go for the
> next domain..... instead of breaking the webserver????

Some say yes, some say no - we've made the design decision at this point that
if it's configured this way, and the DNS fails, it's a very large failure and
should be warned about loudly rather than silently fail. If you want to prevent
this from being a problem, the best thing to do is to use IP numbers in the
virtualhost config:

  <VirtualHost 204.152.144.38>
  ServerName www.apache.org
  DocumentRoot ....
  </VirtualHost>

This will be emphasized in the revised documentation.

	Brian