Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ben Litchfield <be...@csh.rit.edu> on 2002/07/09 16:47:34 UTC

PDF Text Stripper

Hi,

I have written a PDF library that can be used to strip text from PDF
documents.  It is released under LGPL so have fun.

There is one class which can be used to easily index PDF documents.
pdfparser.searchengine.lucene.LucenePDFDocument  has a getDocument
method which will take a PDF file and return a Lucene Document which you
can add to an index.

If you would like to see the quality of the text extraction you can run
pdfparser.Main from the command line which will take a PDF document and
write a txt file.

I am looking for any input that you might have.  Please mail me if you
have any bugs or feature requests.

The library can be retrieved from
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~ben/projects/pdfparser/

-Ben Litchfield

RE: PDF Text Stripper

Posted by Kelvin Tan <ke...@relevanz.com>.
I just took a look at JPedal and I'm very impressed. Extracted some text as
XML data no problem.

Amazingly also creates thumbnails of the PDF file which is something I've
needed but couldn't find...:)

Regards,
Kelvin

RE: PDF Text Stripper

Re: PDF Text Stripper

Posted by Ben Litchfield <be...@csh.rit.edu>.
Can you send me the PDF document that you are having problems with and I
will look into it.

There are still some issues that I am working out with the spacing of
characters.
-Ben

Re: PDF Text Stripper

Posted by Keith Gunn <kg...@csd.abdn.ac.uk>.